"Slow Food in the Roero !" Bra by JLBG
Bra Travel Guide: 20 reviews and 30 photos
The city of Bra belongs to the province of Cuneo, in Piemont. It has in 2005 a population of 27,211 inhabitants. It has 5 Alberghi and 5 Ristoranti.
More on the city of Bra on their web site.
More on the province of Cuneo on their web site.
The origins of the City of Bra are very ancient. It is claimed that Neolithic man lived in the hills nearby. The City of Pollentia (nowaday's Pollenzo) was founded in Roman times along an important communication route, becoming an important centre of commercial and military traffic between the Ligurian ports and the Piedmontese plain.
The origin of the new town of Bra is probably owed to a group of monks from the Abbey of San Colombano di Bobbio, which, in 1082, founded a village in the Veneria area. The village spread across the lands assigned to it and on those of Adelaide from Susa, most of which were held in the brayda (a large farmholding with a huge pasture belonging to it). Soon after the year 1000, a rich family took over the lordship, assumed the surname of De Brayda and built a castle fortified by a protective wall.
In my opinion, Bra is not among the "must visit" cities in the Roero for its old city. However, it is the cradle of the "Slow Food" movement. The "Slow Food" movement is the opposite to "Fast Food". If you want to know more about this exciting movement, you will find it in my page under "restaurant" (where else could I have put it !).
On the contrary, Pollenzo, a small city 6 km out of Bra but nevertheless a part (frazzione) of Bra is a must visit and half of my tips are about Pollenzo, a Unesco World Heritage Site.
This structure stands on the outskirts of Santa Vittoria d’Alba, 6 km from Bra, 8 km from Alba, 3 km from Pollenzo. It... more travel advice
Chiesa di san Vittore (Saint Victor Church) was built in a Neo-Gothic style by architect Ernesto Melano. In the church,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Bra Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bra
- 19 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Bra?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bra
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos