"A Mediterranean microclimate" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Garda by JLBG
Lago di Garda Travel Guide: 493 reviews and 1,152 photos
The lago di Garda (lake of Garde is the largest lake in Italia. It has a warm climate as it is protected from northerly winds. This microclimate allows palm trees, lemon trees, cypress, oleander to grow splendidly. It is framed by hills, smoother on the eastern bank, steeper on the western bank. A dozen of small towns are scattered along the road that circles it : on the South bank Desenzano, Sirmione and Peschiera del Garda. On the eastern bank Garda, Torri del Benaco and a lot of smaller cities. Riva del Garda on the North. On the Eastern bank, Limone sul Garda, Gardone and Salò.
Peschiera del Garda, Arilica for the ancient Romans, is built on several islets in the mouth of river Mincio and as it has always been a strategic place, successive rulers in charge of the city have developed strong defenses : one after the other, the Bizantines, the Lombards, the Scaligeri family, Carlo Magno, Berengario. In the following centuries the Visconti and Venice, followed by the French with Napoléon and the Austrians. It was not until the Unity of Italy that these defenses became useless.
The whole area around the lago di Garda is very touristy and it is better to visit out of the high season. In early May, it was perfect with enough visitors but not too much, driving and parking were easy, except in Garda because of an extensive market (Friday May 6th). The eastern bank of the Lago di Garda belongs to the Veneto province (Venice province), the western bank to the Lombardy province and the north part to the Trentino-Alto Adige province.
In front of the parochial church, another church seems to be more recent but I could not find any information on its... more travel advice
Limone sul Garda is a small city of the west bank, at 66 meters elevation, with less than 1,000 inhabitants. To get into... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Lago di Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Garda"
- "LAGO DI GARDA"
- "A Mediterranean microclimate"
- "Welcome to Lago Land"
- "Lake Garda"
- "GARDALAND - FUN FOR YOUNG AND ... EVERYONE !"
- "Italy's largest and nicest lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Garda
- Hotels in Lago di Garda
- Transportation in Lago di Garda
- Nightlife in Lago di Garda
- Restaurants in Lago di Garda
- Shopping in Lago di Garda
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Garda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Garda
- 31 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Lago di Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Garda
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of ANNAD's Lago di Garda travel pages
- Wrote a Review Limone sul Garda, another church about Limone sul Garda in Lago di Garda Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Limone sul Garda, another church"
- updated a Lago di Garda Travel Page "A Mediterranean microclimate"
Photos in Lago di GardaSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos