"Temple of Apollo Epikourios, World Heritage list" Bassae by JLBG

Bassae Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos

The famous and well-preserved mid-5th century BC Temple of Apollo Epikourios stands in the northeastern part of Messinia Prefecture that was a part of Arcadia in ancient times. It is northeast of Kyparissia, 14 km south of Andritsaina and west of Megalopolis..

The Temple of Apollo Epikourios stands on an eastern terrace of Mount Cotylion called the Bassai, meaning "little vale in the rocks", at an elevation of 1130 meters,

Bassae or whatever it is transcripted, Bassai, Vassai or VassÚs, does not exist in VT locations data base. The Greek spelling is Bασσας.

It is 30 km away from Olympia, as the crow flies, a little more by the road (understatement, LOL).

Bassae was the first Greek site to be inscribed on the World Heritage List, in 1986 with the following comment (quote):

This famous temple to the god of healing and the sun was built towards the middle of the 5th century B.C. in the lonely heights of the Arcadian mountains. The temple, which has the oldest Corinthian capital yet found, combines the Archaic style and the serenity of the Doric style with some daring architectural features.

• Intro Updated Nov 5, 2011

• Oct 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM

Temple of Apollo Epikourios is the great ancient place I've ever visit, its history and culture is very interesting. europevoyage.net/delphi-gree...

• Aitana's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2009 at 1:32 AM

Thanks for your visit to my Sbeitla page. I intended to visit this temple in one of my travels around the Peloponnese but it was already dark, nice to see it here!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Excellent page on this secluded Greek location. The temple looks so imposing and in the middle of nowhere too! I think I remember that frieze from the British Museum.

• Dec 8, 2008 at 2:41 AM

You know Greece better than me i think! Great job!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Wow,what a amazing temple!Thanks for sharing!!!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 12:34 AM

I remeber that rocky road out to Bassae very well! We drove along it in 1973 - and we didn't have a 4x4 - our car was never quite the same again! bur we were the only people there and it was wonderful! leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2008 at 1:41 PM

Another lovely page about Greece. More fine photographs and excellent descriptions.

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2008 at 9:22 AM

Bassae is truly a magical place. It's a shame you don't get much idea of it's size from outside because of the tent (which is a work of art in itself!!)

• SteveOSF's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2008 at 9:16 AM

It seems the Temple of Apollo Epikourios is well worth the long drive on the narrow roads. It is interesting that it built in such a remote spot. But I guess that helped it survive the centuries. Now if only the frise was returned...

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2008 at 9:26 AM

Temple of Apollo Epikourios in Bassae located near Olympya is really worth a visit. Pity I missed it though I was very close to it ( with a bus excursion group). I saw the marble friezes in London for sure but don't rememeber them...

JLBG