"Temple of Apollo Epikourios, World Heritage list" Bassae by JLBG
Bassae Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 17 photos
The famous and well-preserved mid-5th century BC Temple of Apollo Epikourios stands in the northeastern part of Messinia Prefecture that was a part of Arcadia in ancient times. It is northeast of Kyparissia, 14 km south of Andritsaina and west of Megalopolis..
The Temple of Apollo Epikourios stands on an eastern terrace of Mount Cotylion called the Bassai, meaning "little vale in the rocks", at an elevation of 1130 meters,
Bassae or whatever it is transcripted, Bassai, Vassai or VassÚs, does not exist in VT locations data base. The Greek spelling is Bασσας.
It is 30 km away from Olympia, as the crow flies, a little more by the road (understatement, LOL).
Bassae was the first Greek site to be inscribed on the World Heritage List, in 1986 with the following comment (quote):
This famous temple to the god of healing and the sun was built towards the middle of the 5th century B.C. in the lonely heights of the Arcadian mountains. The temple, which has the oldest Corinthian capital yet found, combines the Archaic style and the serenity of the Doric style with some daring architectural features.
A few kilometers before Bassae, I found that this sheepfold was very scenic, on top of a hill, framed by a dozen of... more travel advice
When we visited Bassae, the site was desert. We had it for ourselves. There were no shops, no food, no water but half a... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Bassae Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Bassae
- 7 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Bassae?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bassae
Photos in BassaeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos