"Barbaresco, at last !" Barbaresco by JLBG
Barbaresco Travel Guide: 22 reviews and 53 photos
The city of Barbaresco belongs to the province of Cuneo, in Piemont. It has in 2005 a population of 657 inhabitants. There is no hotel but an Agriturismo, Ca' du Rabaja (that is were we were), one Albergo and 4 restaurants.
More on the province of Cuneo on their web site.
Barbaresco is famous for its wine, one of the great wines of Piedmont. It was already mentioned by Titus Livy in his master book ?History of Rome?.
The name of Barbaresco is undoubtedly linked to ?Barbars?, and most likely refers to the barbarian hordes that raided extensively in Italy before and after the fall of Rome. However it is unclear whether the place was a shelter for the local population to protect themselves against the Barbars, or on the contrary a stronghold that the Barbars used to raid around.
Barbaresco wine is described as "fine, soft and generous." There are 482 producers of Barbaresco. The production zone is the entire territory of the communes of Barbaresco, Treiso and Neive and the San Rocco Senodelvio district of the commune of Alba in the province of Cuneo. Only vineyards in the hills with suitable slopes and orientations are considered adapted to production. And the terrains must be primarily clayey-calcareous in character. The only variety allowed is the Nebbiolo with three subvarieties. The maximum allowed yield per hectare is 80 quintals. The maximum allowed yield of wine from grapes is 65%. The minimum alcohol level is 12.5°.
Barbaresco requires at least two years of aging , of which at least one in oak or chestnut casks.
Sensory Analysis: garnet red in color with orangish reflections; characteristic, ethereal, pleasant and intense odor; dry, full, robust, austere but velvety flavor.
Qualifications: when subjected to a period of aging of no less than four years, the wine can be labeled a Riserva.
Borrowed and adapted from http://www.milioni.com/vini/ingd1/422.htm
La Gibigianna is a wine bar. Each day, they have three wines to taste by the glass for a very reasonnable price (sorry,... more travel advice
Sorry, here five photo were not enough and this page is the following of the previous one that introduced the white... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Barbaresco Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Barbaresco
- Hotels in Barbaresco
- Nightlife in Barbaresco
- Restaurants in Barbaresco
- Shopping in Barbaresco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barbaresco
- 22 Reviews
- 53 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (221)
Have you been to Barbaresco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barbaresco
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos