"Merveille de l?Occident" Top 5 Page for this destination Mont Saint Michel by JLBG
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide: 303 reviews and 965 photos
“Merveille de l’Occident” (Marvel of the Occident) is how the Mount is named by the Tourist Office. It has been inscribed in 1979 on the Unesco World heritage list. It is the third most visited monument in France, after the Eiffel tower and the Château de Versailles. For more, visit the web site Mont-Saint-Michel
The profile of Mont-Saint-Michel looming out of the fog like a stone ghost rising above the sea has for centuries fascinated visitors.
First, there was a rock named Mont Tombe (Tomb mount) standing alone in the middle of dangerous sand banks. In 709, Aubert, the bishop of Avranches built the first church, as required to him by Archangel Michael. In 966, a Benedictine monastery was built. Later,it burnt, it was built again. A city wall was built around the island, that allowed it to resist victoriously against the English during the “Guerre de 100 ans”. The choir of the church fall down and was replaced by the Flamboyant Gothic construction that we see now. After the 1789 Revolution, it became a prison until 1863. It was in 1874 listed as a “Monument historique”, which lead to a complete restoration.
Mont-Saint-Michel was inscribed in 1979 as a World Heritage site with the following comment (quote):
Perched on a rocky islet in the midst of vast sandbanks exposed to powerful tides between Normandy and Brittany stand the 'Wonder of the West', a Gothic-style Benedictine abbey dedicated to the archangel St Michael, and the village that grew up in the shadow of its great walls. Built between the 11th and 16th centuries, the abbey is a technical and artistic tour de force, having had to adapt to the problems posed by this unique natural site.
On the main land, in front of Mont-Saint-Michel, along the Couesnon river, this old wind mill was not in use anymore and... more travel advice
I have visited two other sanctuaries dedicated to Saint Michael. Both stand on very impressive locations that more or... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Mont Saint Michel Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A place that simply redefines 'awesome'!"
- "Mont St Michel - "The Marvel of the Western World""
- "Merveille de l’Occident"
- "A wonderful corner of France"
- "It defies description - Mont Saint Michel"
- "A shock for the eyes and the soul"
- "Le Mont Saint Michel, the western wonder"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mont Saint Michel
- Hotels in Mont Saint Michel
- Transportation in Mont Saint Michel
- Nightlife in Mont Saint Michel
- Restaurants in Mont Saint Michel
- Shopping in Mont Saint Michel
- Warnings and Dangers in Mont Saint Michel
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mont Saint Michel
- 16 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (220)
Have you been to Mont Saint Michel?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mont Saint Michel
Photos in Mont Saint MichelSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos