"Trento/Trent" Top 5 Page for this destination Trento by JLBG
Trento Travel Guide: 190 reviews and 477 photos
Trento is the capital of the autonomous province of Trento/Trient. It stands in a narrow valley drawn by glaciers but where now flows the Adige river.
The city was founded before the 4th century BC but developed mainly after its conquest by the Romans in the 1st century BC. The Romans called it Tridentum, referring to the three mounts that frame the city. After the fall of the Roman Empire, the city was taken by the Lombards, by the Francs and by various other invaders. After that, it became part of the Holy Roman Empire and for eight centuries (1027-1796) was ruled by the Prince-Bishops.
The geographical situation of Trento makes it a crossroad between southern culture and northern culture, between the Latin world and the Germanic world.
In the 16th century Trento became famous for the Council of Trento (1545-1563) which gave rise to the Counter-Reformation. The adjective Tridentine refers to Trento, but, because of the Tridentine Council, can also refer to this specific event, as in "Tridentine Mass". Among the famous prince-bishops of this time were Bernardo Clesio/Cles, who ruled the city 1514-1539, and managed to steer the Council to Trento and Cristoforo Madruzzo, who ruled 1539-1567, during the Council. Both European politicians and Renaissance humanists, they greatly expanded and embellished the city.
Thank you Maurizio (VT Maurizioago) for suggesting several editions of my page!
Regione Trentino-Alto Adige (Trentino-Alto Adige Region) is composed of two provinces : • Provincia autonoma di Trento... more travel advice
Agritur Val d'Adige is an "Agroturismo" type of accomodation. The place is quiet, the housing comfortable and clean, the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Trento Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Trento - a forgotten town"
- "Trento page"
- "Trento nestled in the Dolomite mountains"
- "Trento, Italy"
- "Trento Tour with Maurizioago"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Trento
- Hotels in Trento
- Transportation in Trento
- Restaurants in Trento
- Shopping in Trento
- Warnings and Dangers in Trento
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Trento
- 76 Reviews
- 152 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Trento?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Trento
Photos in TrentoSee All Photos (152)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos