"Madonna di Pione" Vernasca by JLBG
Vernasca Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 7 photos
We chosed to have two days for the journey from Grenoble to Ancona, where we were to take the ferry for Montenegro, sailing at 4 PM. At least it should have sailed at 4PM, but this is another story that I will tell in my Ancona page.
I found on the web that La Locanda dei 2, (the Inn of the 2) would make a perfect half way stage. It stands in the woods of Val d'Arda, at Madonna di Pione, not far from Castell'Arquato and Salsomaggiore Terme. As it stands uphill, it was an important post to exchange horses or mules on the old road that lead from Piacenza to Genova.
For a very long time, there has been at Madonna di Pione, a shelter for mules used by the many hawkers that traded along the Piacenza to Genova road, then a dirt road.
It began to work as an inn in the middle of the 19th. From 1912 to 1963, it was run by Marietta Rivi, widowed in 1936. She made a living with the inn for herself and her 6 sons. It was better known as "l'osteria della Marietta" (Marietta's inn)
It has recently been renewed by Luca, coming from Milano and Nicla from Genova. They chose a few years ago to leave the turmoil of large cities life and to settle in this little part of paradise. If you like it, they have half a dozen hammocks in the woods behind the inn but don't worry, they have also very comfortable bed rooms with regular beds !
Though La Locanda dei 2 stands in a remote place, in the middle of the forest, it is nevertheless easy to reach by bus.... more travel advice
In front of La Locanda dei 2 stands an oratory or small chapel for Madonna di Pione. It was built in the 18th century.... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Vernasca Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Vernasca
- Hotels in Vernasca
- Transportation in Vernasca
- Restaurants in Vernasca
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vernasca
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Vernasca?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vernasca
Photos in VernascaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos