"El-Jem, amphitheater in the middle of olive groves" Top 5 Page for this destination El Jem by JLBG
El Jem Travel Guide: 108 reviews and 406 photos
El-Jem or El-Djem or Al-Jamm is a mid-size town (20,000 inhabitants in 2006) in eastern Tunisia, 160 km south to Tunis, in the middle of a rich agricultural plain, 60 km south to Sousse, 60 km north to Sfax and 40 km west to the coast and Mahdia. El-Jem belongs to the "gouvernorat" (province) of Mahdia.
The amphitheater of Thysdrus, as it was named by the Romans, was built between 230 and 250 after JC under proconsul Gordien when Maximin the Thrace was the emperor in Rome.
This huge arena is a testimony of the wealth of the Roman city of Thysdrus that lived on farming olive trees and trading olive oil. Olive oil was sent to Rome through the nearby harbor of Hadrumete now Sousse. With a population that reached 30,000, Thysdrus was one of the wealthiest cities of the Roman province of Africa.
It is 147.9 m x 122 m and 36 m high, which makes it the 3rd larger amphitheater of the Roman world after the Coliseum in Roma and the amphitheater in Capua. However the amphitheaters in Verona, Carthago and Puzzoles also claim to be the third! The arena is 64.5 m x 38.8 m and it can host an audience of 35 000.
It was inscribed on the Unesco World heritage list in 1979. It is in relatively good condition. It seems that it remained completely untouched until 1695, when it began to be used as a quarry to build the city of El-Jem.
More inland, along the road from El-Jem to Kairouan, the landscape is barren and there are no olive groves anymore. We... more travel advice
During the ancient Romans' time, Thysdrus wealth issued from farming olive trees and trading of olive oil. To day,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
El Jem Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "El Jem"
- "El-Jem, amphitheater in the middle of olive groves"
- "ONE OF TUNISIA'S REMARKABLE SIGHTS."
- "Beautiful El Jem"
- "El Jem"
- "The smell of the crowd..........."
- "Home of the Colosseum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in El Jem
- Transportation in El Jem
- Nightlife in El Jem
- Restaurants in El Jem
- Shopping in El Jem
- Warnings and Dangers in El Jem
- See All...
Badges & Stats in El Jem
- 10 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to El Jem?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Jem
- updated a El Jem Travel Page "El-Jem, amphitheater in the middle of olive groves"
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of mariev's El Jem travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Close-up on a column of the amphitheater."
- Wrote a Review Ploughing with a camel in El Jem General
Photos in El JemSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos