"Discover Mahdia before others!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mahdia by JLBG

Mahdia Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 170 photos

Mahdia, 40,000 inhabitants, is the main fishing port of Tunisia, 450 km south to Tunis, 300 km north to Gabès. It is especially fishing dusky grouper, Epinephelus guazao (mérou noir in French, mennani ahmar or merot in Arab), gilt head sea bream, Sparus aurata (dorade in French, aura or gerraf in Arab) and pilchard, Sardina pilchardus (sardine in French). The fish market is held every morning in the covered market and is a must see.

Mahdia has a long history that began with the Phoenicians but the city has suffered so many destructions that their remains little of its far away past. However, the city has not been yet invaded by tourists and the medina is worth the visit as well as the Ferhat Ached Boulevard.

• Intro Updated Mar 6, 2011

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Mar 5, 2011 at 11:16 AM

Tunisia is another place I would like to see. Thanks for the great page!

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2010 at 5:13 AM

The fishing boat looks so tranquil. Tunisia has some lovely homes! Nice page JL!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 2:49 AM

I always enjoy your Tunisian pages, Jean-Louis, this was no exception. Love the photo of the boat with the old Latin sail, you were lucky to find it.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2007 at 10:03 AM

I am seeing Tunisia through your eyes. Thanks for sharing!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 8:39 AM

Thanks for sharing about this little known destination. It really does look nice.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 19, 2007 at 6:14 AM

Love the main pic of the boat with the Latin sail. Very beautiful Jean-Louis.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2006 at 2:09 AM

Mahdia sounds lovely! I wish I had seen this side of Tunisia during my visit years and years ago. I think I am going to paint some fishes above my front door now ;-))

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2006 at 2:16 PM

Nice page. I'd like to have had time to see Mahdia too. It looks a lot less touristy than other towns in this region.

• jungles's Profile Photo
    Jun 17, 2006 at 10:01 AM

This place looks very nice. Good to know not all of Tunisia is touristy. I'll put it on my list for the next trip.

• May 13, 2006 at 11:33 PM

Hi Jean-Louis, I enjoyed reading your Mahdia Page. Especially liked the picture of the Latin sail. Another great page. Thank you! Thank you too, for dropping by.

JLBG Visits Here Frequently!

JLBG