"Discover Mahdia before others!" Top 5 Page for this destination Mahdia by JLBG
Mahdia Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 170 photos
Mahdia, 40,000 inhabitants, is the main fishing port of Tunisia, 450 km south to Tunis, 300 km north to Gabès. It is especially fishing dusky grouper, Epinephelus guazao (mérou noir in French, mennani ahmar or merot in Arab), gilt head sea bream, Sparus aurata (dorade in French, aura or gerraf in Arab) and pilchard, Sardina pilchardus (sardine in French). The fish market is held every morning in the covered market and is a must see.
Mahdia has a long history that began with the Phoenicians but the city has suffered so many destructions that their remains little of its far away past. However, the city has not been yet invaded by tourists and the medina is worth the visit as well as the Ferhat Ached Boulevard.
There are now very few boats sailing with the ancient so called Latin sail that was used around the whole Mediterranean... more travel advice
This second ship-owner's house has almost the same look. The design if the wall tiles is different from one house to an... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Mahdia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Discover Mahdia before others!"
- "Mahdia - Tunisia's secret"
- "Old Imperial City"
- "Cap Mahdia"
- "El Mahdiya"
- "Mahdia is another summer resort I've visited"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mahdia
- Hotels in Mahdia
- Transportation in Mahdia
- Nightlife in Mahdia
- Restaurants in Mahdia
- Warnings and Dangers in Mahdia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mahdia
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Mahdia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mahdia
Photos in MahdiaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos