"Le Lézard rouge" Al Metlaoui by JLBG
Al Metlaoui Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 38 photos
From Metlaoui, you can (no, you must!) take the '"Lézard rouge" (Red Lizzard). It is the former Bey of Tunisia special luxury train, built in 1900-1920. It has been brought to Metlaoui a few years ago and is now running for tourists on a regular basis from Metlaoui to the phosphate mines of Moulares, on the railroad used to bring out the phosphates, following Oued Seldja and it's breathtaking cliffs.
On a former visit, in 1974, the Red Lizzard was not yet in Metlaoui but it was possible to go on the phosphate train, on request. I wrote in January to be allowed to. We left for Tunisia in July without any answer, so we passed by Metlaoui but could not visit Oued Seldja. Back home, I found a letter that said, OK, you can come on the phosphate train when you like.... I finally did it, much later, on the touristy Red Lizzard !
Water in Oued Metlaoui is not crystal clear as it carries phosphate from the quarries and sand. Along its bank, the... more travel advice
On both sides, the cliffs are high. A few shrubs are growing, enough to feed a whole flock of local sheep ! The sheep... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Al Metlaoui Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Lezard Rouge"
- "Le Lézard rouge"
- "The Red Lizard Train"
- "Not so deserted desert"
- "U-N-D-E-R _______ C-O-N-S-T-R-U-C-T-I-O-N !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Al Metlaoui
- Transportation in Al Metlaoui
- Restaurants in Al Metlaoui
- Warnings and Dangers in Al Metlaoui
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Al Metlaoui
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Al Metlaoui?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Al Metlaoui
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos