"Long forgotten Bulla Regia" Bulla Regia by JLBG
Bulla Regia Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 11 photos
On the southern slopes of the Kroumirie mounts, Bulla Regia was most probably founded by the Phoenicians. It was conquered in 203BC by Scipio the African. Around 150 BC it became the capital of Hiarbas, the king of a small Numid kingdom. Later, one of the sons of king Massinissa had a residence in the city. Romans conquered it in 46 BC when Julius Caesar organized the “Africa nova”. Under Augustus, it became Colonia Aelia Hadriana Augusta Bulla Regia. It was transformed into a colony as it had an excellent geographical position :
- in the middle of the rich Bagradas valley, watered by the main river of the country, the Medjerda.
- On the road from Carthage to Hippo Regius.
It was in the 2nd and 3rd century AD that the Roman Bulla Regia had its greater pride. The architecture of the houses is very special and found nowhere else. Because of the heat, they were built on 2 levels. The ground level was for winter while the underground level was for summer. It was arranged in a way that allowed light to come in but not the heat. Moreover they had an elaborate system of air conditioning. The bottle shaped earth ware objects shown on next picture are open on both ends. They were piled one above the other and covered completely the walls, making a perfect lining in which air could flow, maintaining a pleasant temperature.
The last mosaic represents a brown bear. There are 23 Roman mosaics in Northern Africa that represent a bear, sometimes... more travel advice
The close-up on the Cupid on the left shows that he is leading the dolphin with a bridle. All around the Mediterranean,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Bulla Regia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Long forgotten Bulla Regia"
- "Bulla Regia: the World of Underground Villas"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Bulla Regia
- 7 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Bulla Regia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bulla Regia
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos