"Douz, portal to the desert." Top 5 Page for this destination Douz by JLBG

Douz Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 304 photos

Douz and the Nafzaoua

Douz is a charming little oasis, on the northern most tip of the Great Eastern Erg (Grand Erg Oriental). It controls the entrance to the Nefzaoua region. Any car can reach it easily by a paved road. However, as it is surrounded by sand, do not be surprised if you get a sand wind, here towards the smaller oasis of Djemma.

The souk (market) takes place every Thursday and is very animated as customers come from the whole Nefzaoua to sell their productions or to buy. You will find everything in the market of Douz

From Douz, it is possible to have a taste of the desert. In the last decade, the Tunisian government has been developing the South for tourism with Douz as a hub. This is fine but has altered the spirit of the oasis, which begins now to be a bit too touristy. "M?har?es" (camel treks) are organized from Douz, either for a few hours or for several days. The later will allow you to have a night in the desert, which is an unforgettable experience.

• Last visit to Douz: Apr 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 27, 2005

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2009 at 4:58 AM

I went to Douz for the desert festival a few yrs back - a great time to go!and would love to go back!lovely sandy desert photos youve got here!

• Mar 28, 2008 at 9:43 AM

Nice page

• Anne-Lieze's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2007 at 1:20 AM

Very good page.I'm going to Tunesia tomorrow but not for Douz.If places becomes too crowded I better go elswhere.Thanks for the page and the tips

• Lunaina's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2006 at 12:14 AM

Wow, so many tips on Douz... I only was there for a few hours and a night, but thought that I had seen it all, haha, I was wrong!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Jun 28, 2005 at 1:45 PM

Fascinating page of the life in and around Douz. I liked the 'off the beaten path' tips and the picture of the mirage. I realise, that my stay in Douz was too short !

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2005 at 10:55 PM

Great page, unique chronicle of local human life especially at and around the market. Manyexcellent observations and a lot of exotic tips :-) Thanks for refreshing my memories.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 2:39 AM

Jean Luis, c'est tres bon, mais comme toujours avec vos pages superb ;-D

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 5:34 PM

A very interesting page! Your comments on the fennec remineded me of the problems of nocturnal pets in Africa ('bush babies')! Excellent observations on the living systems of the desert!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Nov 10, 2004 at 2:34 AM

Nice page Jean Louis, I have wonderful memories of Douz. I hope to return one day for the folk festival they hold just south of Douz. (~_~)

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2004 at 5:23 AM

As a Biology teacher, I found really interesting your local flora and fauna tips.

JLBG