"Douz, portal to the desert." Top 5 Page for this destination Douz by JLBG
Douz Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 308 photos
Douz is a charming little oasis, on the northern most tip of the Great Eastern Erg (Grand Erg Oriental). It controls the entrance to the Nefzaoua region. Any car can reach it easily by a paved road. However, as it is surrounded by sand, do not be surprised if you get a sand wind, here towards the smaller oasis of Djemma.
The souk (market) takes place every Thursday and is very animated as customers come from the whole Nefzaoua to sell their productions or to buy. You will find everything in the market of Douz
From Douz, it is possible to have a taste of the desert. In the last decade, the Tunisian government has been developing the South for tourism with Douz as a hub. This is fine but has altered the spirit of the oasis, which begins now to be a bit too touristy. "M?har?es" (camel treks) are organized from Douz, either for a few hours or for several days. The later will allow you to have a night in the desert, which is an unforgettable experience.
When you have the right equipment, no need to any restaurant. All you need is to have a gas burner, plenty of water and... more travel advice
In 1998, we always camped and in the neighbourhood of Nefta, a few kilometers away from the city, it was not difficult... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Douz Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Douz, portal to the desert."
- "Douz, the pearl of Tunisia"
- "Last stop before the Sahara"
- "Gateway to the Sahara"
- "The gate to the desert"
- "The Gate to the Oriental Erg."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Douz
- Hotels in Douz
- Transportation in Douz
- Nightlife in Douz
- Restaurants in Douz
- Shopping in Douz
- Warnings and Dangers in Douz
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Douz
- 61 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Douz?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Douz
Photos in DouzSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos