"Island of Djerba" Top 5 Page for this destination Ile de Jerba by JLBG

Ile de Jerba Travel Guide: 234 reviews and 750 photos

Houmt Souk is the capital of Djerba island. It is a quiet little town, very touristy.

For us, it was the beginning of our round trip in southern Tunisia, at the edges of the Sahara desert and mostly in the desert. This route provides a taste of Sahara to those that have never visited this wonderful part of the world.

We flied from Lyon to Djerba. At the airport, we found our rented car. Every evening, the hotel was booked for us in the next town, with breakfast in the morning. For everything else, we were on our own, free to visit what we wanted, free to taste any restaurant (sometimes I should say eating place !) that we wanted. Djerba, Gabès, Tamerza, Tozeur (2 nights), Douz and Djerba again.

If you are lucky, you can have gorgeous sunsets in Djerba, especially when you are in the north of the island. I like very much this one !

I have added some older photos from previous travels, mainly in 1975 and 1988. This one shows a herd of sheeps grazing along the sea in the south of Djerba !

• Last visit to Ile de Jerba: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 15, 2005

• Jun 23, 2008 at 6:41 AM

Excellent web site, a lot of information!

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Another excellent page. I bought some small pieces of pottery in Sidi Bou Said & I notice the patterns of the pottery on your page are much different. Because of different regions or tribes??

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 5:59 AM

Isn[t it amazing what donkeys can carry! I really enjoyed this page Jean-Louis especially the steps for pottery-making & how they used broken pottery to decorate their oven. Also liked the tips on the Darboukha, the Ghriba & Gafsa rugs.

• cherrie18's Profile Photo
    May 16, 2006 at 7:13 AM

wow what a great page, im going on hiloday to Djerba in Aug this year and your info is great im really looking forward to going now keep trecking xx

• Apr 14, 2006 at 7:09 AM

salut et paix JL (that's all the francais i know,lol)...very interesting and informative tips on the local customs. i've a particular interest in this region and you just gave me the general view. Thx for sharing, in humanity, a:^)

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Apr 9, 2006 at 12:21 AM

Turning on the potters wheel - great page JL !

• olja1234's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2005 at 7:10 AM

I'm thinking about visiting Djerba in October. Your excellent page will be very helpful for me.

• Siddha3th's Profile Photo
    Jul 6, 2005 at 9:45 AM

You're undoubtedly THE Maghreb expert on VT, Jean! Once again, great insights on a fascinating country.

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Apr 16, 2005 at 3:35 AM

Un beau témoignage de ce sud Tunisien en plein chagement. Pour combien de temps Djerba saura-t- elle rester " la douce" ?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 3:32 PM

Great page, great info, great pictures. Jerba is the best area both for leisure and one day trips in Tunisia in my opinion. I liked there a lot.

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Ile de Jerba

Have you been to Ile de Jerba?

Latest Activity in Ile de Jerba