"Oasis of Tozeur" Top 5 Page for this destination Tozeur by JLBG

Tozeur Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 215 photos

The oasis of Tozeur is a typical Sahara oasis. It can be very hot. I remind of a former travel in late July, when it was 55°C in the day and 48°C at midnight. Too much ! This time, in March, the temperature was warm and pleasant. In order to bear these high temperatures, the town has numerous vaulted passages like this one.

The pictures in this page were taken on the occasion of several travels, from 1974 to 2002.

• Last visit to Tozeur: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 22, 2005

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM

This is the first time I have heard of a door with three knockers, one for men, one for women and one for children. And I never knew about the male flowers doing the show and the female flowers providing bananas! All in all, a very informative page.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Jul 8, 2009 at 2:47 AM

Lovely page on Tozeur with beautiful photographs. Le Paradis, Chott El Djerid and the Belvédère sound wonderful and interesting to explore! Thanks for sharing. ~ho & pang

• Apr 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM

Lovely page and picture!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Seems like you had to endure some high temperatures here Jean-Louise :( mass tourism seems to have spoiled a lot of what you once saw

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2006 at 4:28 AM

Interesting page Jean-Louis, especially the way back when and now pics. An oasis in a desert.The male bananas flower is indeed very beautiful.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2005 at 1:11 PM

Tozeur is indead a charming place in the desert ! Greets from Belgium - my next trip is Isanbul - catch you later JL

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2005 at 4:25 PM

I would die there in summer haha. Luckily I was there in October and it was hot as well but not that bad... Great tips.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 1:09 AM

Great story about the doorknockers! I didn't know about that. Hahaha, I have to admit that I have a passion for special doorknockers. I can't resist taking pictures of them when I see one :-)

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2004 at 12:51 AM

I never heared of these different door-knockers... But of course it makes sense and next time I will watch out for them !

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2004 at 1:01 AM

Very interesting page, Sorry the salt lake was not a its best when you were there. I was very lucky to get some great sunrise photos there. That is a wonderful old door! (~_~)

JLBG