"Troglodytic houses" Top 5 Page for this destination Matmata by JLBG
Matmata Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 251 photos
When you drive into Matmata, you first see an ordinary village of Southern Tunisia with white houses scattered on several small hills. The countryside is rocky and even in Spring time, the vegetation is scarce. There is not much shade.
Oued Matmata carves its way deep in the soft soil. It might have given the inhabitants the idea to do the same and carve their houses in the soil which they did for centuries.
The soil is more rocky and stony than in Matmata and the inhabitants have no been able to carve their houses in the soil... more travel advice
In summer, such as on this picture, even "upstream" (not really a stream !) to the dam, everything is bone dry. However,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Matmata Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Troglodytic houses"
- "Home of the Troglydytes"
- "Its a hole!"
- "matmata - star wars comes to town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Matmata
- Hotels in Matmata
- Transportation in Matmata
- Nightlife in Matmata
- Restaurants in Matmata
- Warnings and Dangers in Matmata
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Matmata
- 18 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (127)
Have you been to Matmata?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Matmata
Photos in MatmataSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos