"Troglodytic houses" Top 5 Page for this destination Matmata by JLBG

Matmata Travel Guide: 79 reviews and 262 photos

When you drive into Matmata, you first see an ordinary village of Southern Tunisia with white houses scattered on several small hills. The countryside is rocky and even in Spring time, the vegetation is scarce. There is not much shade.

Oued Matmata carves its way deep in the soft soil. It might have given the inhabitants the idea to do the same and carve their houses in the soil which they did for centuries.

Matmata is well known for its troglodytic houses. It has now become very touristy but nevertheless worth the visit though most people do not live any more in this type of housing.

• Last visit to Matmata: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Mar 26, 2005

• Elisabcn's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2009 at 2:40 AM

Bonjour JL! Did u visit Sidi Meta on the road from Matmata to Tamezret? Can u give me some indications? I tried to visit it but i could not find it!! I will try it again this we. . . greetings, elisa

• Jan 19, 2009 at 3:57 AM

I love landscapes. i like this pic: Improved barn or sheepfold

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2007 at 12:28 AM

Great descriptions of Matmata. We came in on the Medinine road too via Toujane. Though it was very poor to drive on, the scenery was superb.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2006 at 6:27 AM

Fascinating page, especially the Troglodytic Houses.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2005 at 10:16 PM

I would have loved driving down to Matmata, time has been against me. now I know what I missed out on. by the way, sometimes I do accept to pay, but that just me talking.wonderful page JL, tks for sharing

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2005 at 12:35 AM

Fascinating house in Matmata BTW you are right about paying for a picture ! greetz

• l_joo's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2005 at 10:06 AM

I am very sure I like to visit this kind of place, beautiful.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2005 at 8:17 AM

Beautiful pictures and great writings. You refreshed my great memories from a drive around southern Tunisia! Amazing area of nature and human made treasures!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 1, 2005 at 8:44 AM

Wonderful descriptions and photos of these amazing underground houses and 'pens'!! A very dry and barren looking area too on your drive in Tunisia! Great information as usual Jean-Louis!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2005 at 1:24 PM

Great photos Jean-Louis, brought back memories, Fascinating little place. (~_~)

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Matmata

Have you been to Matmata?

Latest Activity in Matmata