"A clean city" Top 5 Page for this destination Essaouira by JLBG
Essaouira Travel Guide: 508 reviews and 1,433 photos
Essaouira is a 70,000 inhabitants fishing harbour, 150 km west to Marrakech. It is one of the "must see" in Morocco.
Carthagenian sailor Hannon anchored in its well sheltered mooring. Carthagenian used it for centuries as the last continental harbour on the way to the Green-cape islands and to the equator. The Romans took it in 146 BC and put Juba II, the king of Mauretania as their vassal to rule the town. He developped the production of salt fish and of purple. Noble Romans used extensively purple for their clothes and thus the production of purple was very important for them. Purple gave their name to the islands that protects the harbour : "Îles Purpuraires".
Later, the Portuguese took control of the place and called it Mogador. In 1764, Sultan Mohammed Ben Abdallah hired Théodore Cornut, a French architect that worked for the English in Gibraltar. He drew the plans and built up the harbour and the casbah as they are now. The name of Es-Saouira means "the well drawn" and refers to the very regular plan of the city.
To day, Essaouira is a very clean city. Everywhere, posters remind to keep it clean
The fort is one of the main features of the town but their is much to see in this windy and never too hot city.
As the Trade Winds blow in Essaouira, it is always windy. In Summer, while the temperature is often over 40°C in Marrakech (150 km), in Essaouira, it never goes over 25°C !
- Pros:Cool and clean
- Cons:Cool and windy
- In a nutshell:A must visit
When the almond paste has been completely extracted, the remaining paste is a brownish paste the is still a good food... more travel advice
The third step is grinding the almonds. This picture shows the grinding on a traditional stone grinder. A round stone is... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Essaouira Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A clean city"
- "Essaouira pronounced Essa wera!"
- "Don't ask me if pigs fly in Morocco :-)"
- "Essaouira on the coast"
- "Essaouira Attractions."
- "Essaouira: Hippy Paradise & World Heritage Site"
- "Living the dream"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Essaouira
- Hotels in Essaouira
- Transportation in Essaouira
- Nightlife in Essaouira
- Restaurants in Essaouira
- Shopping in Essaouira
- Warnings and Dangers in Essaouira
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Essaouira
- 88 Reviews
- 91 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Essaouira?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Essaouira
Photos in EssaouiraSee All Photos (91)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos