"Colmar, capital of the former Décapole" Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar by JLBG

Colmar Travel Guide: 309 reviews and 951 photos

Colmar is a city of 67,000 for the city, 120,000 for the conurbation, in the south of Alsace (Haut-Rhin) with a long and glorious history. When ten cities of Alsace built a group named “la Décapole”, Colmar was its capital. The core of the city is a wealth of ancient houses.

We did not pay a full visit to Colmar. We were on our way home from Strasbourg and had scheduled to have dinner in Colmar, which would allow a glimpse to the old city. We parked walked to the restaurant we had selected, in the Little Venice, which lead us accross the old city. Unfortunately, it was closed for the week as it was a school vacation for children in Alsace. We went back to the car and drove to our restaurant number 2, near the train station.

Colmar is the birthplace of Bartholdi, the sculptor of The Liberty statue. We will visit Bartholdi’s house on our next visit.

• Last visit to Colmar: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Apr 3, 2009

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Oct 5, 2009 at 5:42 PM

I know I would love Colmar - "Petite Venise" and its wealth of half-timbered houses, esp Maison Adophe.

• Zvrlj's Profile Photo
    Jul 15, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Colmar is our dream destination, mostly because of Grunewald's marvelous altar-piece. But it seems that it offers even more. Thanks for tips and photos. Hope we'll use them some time soon. Best regards, I&V

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM

You took again some wonderful pictures and super comments. It is good this town did not get bombed in WWII, because I feel that it is irreplaceable. The wood is plentiful and the designs are real wonders.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 11:07 PM

What a wealth of gorgeous houses for such a small town! Your beautiful pictures and detailed descriptions really do them credit.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2009 at 4:19 AM

A very interesting page about Colmar. I didn't know about the Roman numbers having been different.

• Jan 23, 2009 at 2:39 AM

Excellent architecture: Colmar. i like theses kind of buildings: Maison Pfister!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2008 at 1:34 AM

la plus belle ville d'alsace

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2008 at 5:18 AM

Beautiful little town. Your descriptives are so informative...an architecture buff! Petite Venise is the stunner. I'd love to join you for a tour of Bartholdi's house...obviously I love his work.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2008 at 12:19 AM

Emphasis on lovely architecture in Colmar was just wonderful. Smiled about farmyard in middle of town. Half timber houses, Petite Venise, and the Maison Adophe Home were my favorites.

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 23, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Loved all the little details on this page Jean Louis :) I must get to this corner sometime to see the delights you show case well!!

JLBG