"Colmar, capital of the former Décapole" Top 5 Page for this destination Colmar by JLBG
Colmar Travel Guide: 367 reviews and 1,193 photos
Colmar is a city of 67,000 for the city, 120,000 for the conurbation, in the south of Alsace (Haut-Rhin) with a long and glorious history. When ten cities of Alsace built a group named “la Décapole”, Colmar was its capital. The core of the city is a wealth of ancient houses.
We did not pay a full visit to Colmar. We were on our way home from Strasbourg and had scheduled to have dinner in Colmar, which would allow a glimpse to the old city. We parked walked to the restaurant we had selected, in the Little Venice, which lead us accross the old city. Unfortunately, it was closed for the week as it was a school vacation for children in Alsace. We went back to the car and drove to our restaurant number 2, near the train station.
Colmar is the birthplace of Bartholdi, the sculptor of The Liberty statue. We will visit Bartholdi’s house on our next visit.
Tribunal de Grande Instance of Colmar stands Place Du Marche Aux Fruits (Fruits market square). It was built from 1764... more travel advice
Colmar is not only half timber houses (they have even very modern building!) but nevertheless, it was amazing to... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Colmar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sweet Little Colmar"
- "Colmar - Ideal Day Trip From Strasbourg"
- "Our favoured Alsatian city"
- "Colmar - German influence in France"
- "Colmar, capital of the former Décapole"
- "Home of Miss Liberty"
- "Colours of Colmar"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Colmar
- Hotels in Colmar
- Transportation in Colmar
- Nightlife in Colmar
- Restaurants in Colmar
- Shopping in Colmar
- Warnings and Dangers in Colmar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Colmar
- 17 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Colmar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Colmar
Photos in ColmarSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos