"Ebersmunster and the Grand Ried" Ebersmunster by JLBG

Ebersmunster Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 42 photos

Ebersmunster is a village of 500 inhabitants lying in the Grand Ried. The Grand Ried is a swampy plain that spreads between the Rhine river and the Ill river. It is a flat and wet land with a lot of wild life. In Winter, the swamps are flooded. No wonder if the speciality of this part of Alsace is the “Matelote d’anguille”, a delicious fish stew. This is why we went to Ebersmunster but we found that the city had more to offer.

Ebersmunster is not touristy as are several villages of the hills of Alsace. Visitors come either for its famous matelote or for its famous church (or both!).

• Last visit to Ebersmunster: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Mar 19, 2008

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Another beautiful place! I feel so lucky to be able to see such wonderful places do to you wonderful folks like yourself Jean Louis. I would to be on that little boat right now on Le Grand Ried!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2009 at 6:09 AM

Fascinating village..excellent cover photo. Very handsome carving of Samson. A village to be visited, for certain.

• Sep 15, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Another one great website of you Jean with lovely pictures. I like a lot the pictures of The Silbermann orgue and the The frescoes

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 5:07 AM

What a Baroque Church! The frescoes sound grand. But, my favorite feature of the church was the carving of Samson holding the pulpit and the Organ. I'd love to see all this.

• KiKitC's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2008 at 4:32 AM

I think I'm in love with the town of Ebersmunster. Wow, great tips. Your pages always make me want to travel EVERYWHERE! Thanx for the B-day wishes!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2008 at 4:29 PM

I'd go a long way for a good fish stew - minus the eel tho'! Beautiful church - the Samson is quite magnificent. leyle

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 30, 2008 at 1:04 AM

Hiking swans, haha :-)) I also never saw that they left the water much further. The church is amazing, these frescos so lovely!! Ah yes, another Alsace gem :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 5:03 PM

I can see why the interior of Abbatial church is such an attraction! As well, those canals flowing here and there in Ebersmunster look very inviting, especially to someone who has spent February freezing to death!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2008 at 4:51 AM

Lovely page on Ebersmunster. I especially enjoyed the tips on the Abbatial church and its wonderful interior.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 10:25 PM

Perfect details of the Abbatial church. Thx

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Ebersmunster

Have you been to Ebersmunster?

Latest Activity in Ebersmunster