"Fontaine-de-Vaucluse and Vauclusian fonts" Fontaine-de-Vaucluse by JLBG
Fontaine-de-Vaucluse Travel Guide: 28 reviews and 61 photos
Fontaine-de-Vaucluse is a village of 611 inhabitants, 7 km east to l’Isle-sur-la-Sorgues. It stands among the villages of Provence with the most visitors because of its very special spring that flows from the base of a 230 m high cliff. It has a flow of 630 million cubic meters per year, which, according to the Tourist Office makes it the most powerful in Europe and the fifth in the world.
The village was long named Vaucluse but as it is also the name of the “département”, that often brought confusion. This is why it took the name of its major feature and is now called “Fontaine-de –Vaucluse”
The name of Vaucluse comes from the name given by the Romans, “Vallis Clausa” (closed valley) as the spring is at the end of a narrow and deep valley, almost closed.
These natural sites has since very long ago fascinated writers and poets such as: Pétrarque, Boccace, Chateaubriand, Frédéric Mistral and René Char.
This photo was taken on top of the village, on the road to Gordes (another superb village of inland Provence, on which I... more travel advice
Frédéric Mistral, the great Provençal poet and responsible for a revival of the Provençal language at the turn of the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Fontaine-de-Vaucluse Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fontaine-de-Vaucluse and Vauclusian fonts"
- "Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, 84800."
- "The great fountain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
- Hotels in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
- Restaurants in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
- 26 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Fontaine-de-Vaucluse?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Wrote a Review Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, landscape on top of the vill in Fontaine-de-Vaucluse Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Fontaine-de-Vaucluse, landscape on top of the vill"
- created a Fontaine-de-Vaucluse Travel Page "Fontaine-de-Vaucluse and Vauclusian fonts"
Photos in Fontaine-de-VaucluseSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos