"Unforgetable El-Djazaïr Al-Bahdja" Top 5 Page for this destination Algiers by JLBG

Algiers Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 653 photos

Algiers, Alger, El-Djazaïr is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. Once you have been there once, you will never forget it.

The nickname of Alger la Blanche, El-Djazaïr Al-Bahdja (Algiers the White) and of is for real. The first time I went to Algeria was in 1973 and when we arrived in the harbor with the ferry, I had that stunning view of a white city stretching from the sea to the summit of the hills, from left to right in a wide bay. I understood all of a sudden why so many visitors (and natives of course) had fallen in love with Algiers. If you want to be introduced properly with that city, you MUST arrive by sea.

The Greek counter of Ikosim (gulls islands), founded in the IIIrd BC became Icosium for the Roman period. In 429, it became part of the Vandales kingdom but after 533, it was almost destroyed. In 960, Bologhine, the son of Ziri-Ibn-Menad built a new city named El-Djazaïr. It is often said that the Arab name of El-Djazaïr comes from a few islets that were standing in the bay but another etymology refers to the Zirides, the famous kingdom lead by Ziri-Ibn-Menad that ruled the whole Northern Africa

Algiers is the capital and the largest city of Algeria with 3,000,000, i.e. 10% of the population of the country. The city is not anymore limited to the amphitheater in front of the bay but has spread inland, on the Plateau.

Though I have been in Algiers 8 times, that was always as a stage before heading to the Sahara and as I have never systematically visited the city I have very few photos (I must have been saving my rolls for the desert!). I was once driven in and around the city by an old Algerian friend with whom I had shared a lot as a student, but did not took any picture. Besides just strolling in the streets, you should visit the Casbah Ketchaoua mosque, Djama El Djadid mosque, Notre Dame d'Afrique Cathedral, the Bardo museum, the Jardin d'essai, not to forget the Poste Centrale and the monument for the Martyrs, that overhangs the city, a little in the west.

For more on Algiers, visit the web page of Djamila. You will also find excellent pages on other parts of Algeria.

• Last visit to Algiers: Apr 1988
  • Intro Updated Sep 3, 2007

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Like Lynn, I will also pass on the white kidneys.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM

Algiers has always held a mystique for me. Especially the Casbah. Ah.....maybe one day. I will, however- give those 'white kidneys' a MISS. I am vegetarian, thank heavens.

• hopang's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2009 at 6:59 AM

Excellent Algiers page with lovely photos. Thanks for sharing. We hope to visit Algiers one day. ~ho & pang

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 11:01 AM

hope I will get there myself one day!

• Jul 14, 2008 at 4:07 AM

I see that u build a panarama picture from the city! If you like i can help you with this! Nice page

• tere1's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2008 at 12:44 PM

Thanks for visiting my pages Jean-Louis! Great pages of Algeria, I've never been there but have a cousin who is a passionate , specially by the desert there.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 2, 2008 at 4:26 AM

As usual, an enjoyable page. Algiers looks very pleasant, with all those white buildings - glad you've had your scanner out to add a few more photos and tips.

• Sep 3, 2007 at 11:46 PM

your pictures bring to life a book i read by albert camus describing algiers. very cool!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2007 at 9:54 AM

Those white buildings framing the waterfront do make quite a spectacular scene! It must have been strange to see your vehicle being driven off the ferry. I loved your restaurant tips! I missed Algiers in my 1974 Cairo-Tunis-Casablanca hop!

• Vulindlela's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 10:10 AM

Great tips! I have always been interested in visiting Algiers.

JLBG Visits Here Frequently!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Algiers

Have you been to Algiers?

Latest Activity in Algiers