"Annaba ex Bône, the capital of eastern Algeria" Annaba by JLBG
Annaba Travel Guide: 75 reviews and 180 photos
Annaba is the capital of Eastern Algeria, not far from the Tunisian border. It has a very long history. The place was already inhabited 12 centuries BC. Numides, Phenicians, Carthagenese, Romans, Vandals, Fatimides, Zirides, Hamadites, Ottomans, Spanish, Ottomans again and French (1832-1962) followed one another as rulers and left their imprint.
It was called Hippo Regius and later Hippone by the Romans. Later, it became Bouna, that the French turned into Bône. After the independence it chose to call itself Annaba.
The Roman ruins can be visited but unfortunately it was not open when we might have visited them.
Annaba is the capital of the wilaya (550,000 inhabitants) that bears the same name. It is a rich agricultural land (corn, tomatoes, oranges, cotton, peanuts). It is also a main industrial area with phosphate refining for fertilizers and a main steelwork, the first in the country. It was built under President Boumedienne and was state owned. It has been sold and is now ruled by an Indian company.
The harbor is the third in the country.
This the menu in the Restaurant of Seybouse Hotel. It is written altogether in Arab, in French and in English. You can... more travel advice
Annaba has several plants very close to the city. This photo was taken from the 11th level of Seybouse Hotel in the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Annaba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Annaba ex Bône, the capital of eastern Algeria"
- "Annaba - Hippone or Bone"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Annaba
- Hotels in Annaba
- Transportation in Annaba
- Restaurants in Annaba
- Warnings and Dangers in Annaba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Annaba
- 72 Reviews
- 175 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Annaba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Annaba
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos