"Aoulef, an island in the sand" Aoulef by JLBG

Aoulef Travel Guide: 9 reviews and 16 photos

When you look at this photo, at first you will see sand and nothing else. If you look more carefully, you will see in the right, just over the horizon, a green line. This is the palm grove of Aoulef, in the distance.

And in the middle of the photo, what can it be? A road sign? We are used to see road signs along roads, which makes sense. However, in the Sahara, when there are no roads, road signs, when any, can be anywhere!

Aoulef-ech-Cherfa and Aoulef-El-Arab are two twin oasis split by a couple of kilometers. In 1982, the sand trail from In-Salah to Reggane passed 2 km away. There is now a surfaced road.

• Last visit to Aoulef: Apr 1982
  • Intro Written Mar 2, 2007

• zadunajska8's Profile Photo
    Jan 4, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Such amazing photos! I really love this page

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 3, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Great photos of road signs in the middle of the desert, where there aren't even any roads!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 6, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Excellent pictures of the desert. I think you were very brave to drive there in your car. Good point about having a large number of the same things to give to the children. I would have probably taken various items.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Apr 30, 2009 at 11:31 PM

An amazing thought- that the Sahara once was a place of water.Very good tips, and photos, Jean-Louis.Especially the tip about carrying enough water.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2009 at 4:08 AM

Signs in the desert!! I would probably need one telling me what direction I was going - NSEW! hehe! I found the fossil wood intriguing. Also thank you for checking out my updates from Mijas Spain.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2007 at 10:25 AM

This visit sounds like a bit of an adventure with your off-road car driving! I wonder why the Peugeot was better in sand than the Citroën? Excellent tips on the area trees, especially those fossils!!

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 1:35 AM

What marvellous photos! Fossil trees in the Sahara ... who says there's no such thing as climate change? An intriguing page indeed.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Wow, simply wow ! It is indeed fun to see roadsigns in the middle of an endless sand :-) I like the marabout :-)

JLBG