"Djanet, entrance into Tassili N'Ajjer NationalPark" Djanet by JLBG
Djanet Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 46 photos
Djanet is a large oasis in the southeastern part of Algeria, 2,300 km from Algiers. It has now 15,000 inhabitants living in several hamlets such as El Mihan, Azeluaz or Zelouze. It is the entrance into the "Parc National du Tassili" and its rock paintings. I will build a page on our camel trek and the rock paintings, unfortunately, it should not be before late August or early September.
An excellent page on Djanet has been built by the teenagers of Djanet, working in the "Médiathèque de la Maison des Jeunes". It is still in progress but already very informative.
At the time of our visit (1974), the only accommodation was the camping ground equipped with reed huts (zeribas). It seems that it has not changed since then and is still the same. You can also have a drink or a meal in the camping.
Djanet is on the Cancer Tropic and has a desert climate. It is situated at 1,000 m elevation. It is laying at the foot of Tassili N’Ajjer (the Plateau of the Ajjer Touaregs), on the northeast. On the southeast, it is lined by the sand dunes of Erg Admer.
Most of the population of Djanet are Kel Ajjer Touaregs. (more to come on Touaregs)
Djanet is the place to prepare for excursions to the rock paintings of Tassili N'Ajjer. Our travel was a 10 days camel trek a small group of 9, lead by a French guide that had lived for many years in Djanet, a Touareg guide for some of the stages, a Haratin cook and several cameleers hired together with their camels.
A guelta is a crack between two rocks with a waterproof bottom where water gathers each time there is a rain and stay... more travel advice
This picture shows clearly a Tassili very deeply carved by an oued. If you enlarge the picture, you will see that the... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Djanet Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Djanet, entrance into Tassili N'Ajjer NationalPark"
- "A city in the middle of the Sahara"
- "Tassili National Park"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Djanet
- Hotels in Djanet
- Transportation in Djanet
- Warnings and Dangers in Djanet
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Djanet
- 40 Reviews
- 40 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (130)
Have you been to Djanet?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Djanet
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of sachara's Djanet travel pages
- updated a Djanet Travel Page "Djanet, entrance into Tassili N'Ajjer NationalPark"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Djanet, entrance into Tassili N'Ajjer NationalPark"
- Wrote a Review Read more Roger-Frison-Roche books ! in Djanet What to Pack
Photos in DjanetSee All Photos (40)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos