"El Goléa, the 300,000 palm trees oasis" El Golea by JLBG
El Golea Travel Guide: 17 reviews and 28 photos
El-Goléa, a city of 28,000 inhabitants (2005), is 270 km south to Ghardaïa, the capital of the Wilaya. It appears on road signs either as El-Goléa or as El-Minieh. Both names mean “the fortress”.
El-Goléa is made of three parts :
- the ksar (fort) on top of an isolated rock,
- the village and
- the oasis, a palm trees grove. It is sometimes called the three hundred thousands palm trees oasis.
It is the last main city before Tamanrasset, 900 km south, as the crow flies.
In Tamanrasset, houses and walls are ochre, in Timimoun, they are red, in the M’zab, they are painted in blue. In El Goléa, they are painted white.
Moula Moula is the Tuareg name for a desert sparrow, Oenanthe deserti. This bird is the mascot of the Tuareg people and... more travel advice
Along the road, north to El Goléa stand many “buttes témoin” that can be found in many other parts of the Sahara. In... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
El Golea Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in El Golea
- 11 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to El Golea?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in El Golea
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos