"Tassili N'Ajjer National Park" Tassili n'Ajjer National Park by JLBG
Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Travel Guide: 148 reviews and 148 photos
I strongly advise visitors of this page to follow author's order. I have arranged almost all my tips under "things to do" in a chronological way that follows our camel trek.
This trek in the Tassili was organized by a small travel agency managed by several mountain guides from France that had chosen to live half of the year in the Sahara (Hoggar and Tassili) with the Tuaregs and like the Tuaregs.
This trek was performed in 1974 but almost everything I have written and shown on this page is still valid. I have updated the few information that was outdated.
For this trek, we were 6 friends in a group of 9 travelers, lead by Pierre, our French guide, fed by Ali, the local cook and 4 cameleers were in charge of the transport. Each cameleer took care of his own camels (“imnas”). There were around 15 camels for riding (tarik) and 5 camels for the luggage (“amagagou”). Pierre owned his own camel.
Each evening the amagagou were unloaded. Each of us could then get his bag (limited to 10 kg). The collective bags contained food, cooking devices, the polyurethane foam mattresses, tents in case of bad weather (we never used them during this trip). At the bivouac, bags were arranged as a circle to make the “dining room”. During dinner, we sat on the sand and the half empty bags were used as backs to lean against.
While Ali cooked dinner, each of us took one 2.5 cm mattress (only one!) and chose where he would sleep. Some stayed close to the “dining room", other went further, trying to stay away from anyone that would snooze!
At dinner, though only 7-8 PM, the night was already dark and a 9 PM, everybody was in his sleeping bag, sleeping or watching the stars.
Tassili N'Ajjer is a mountain range in the Sahara desert in southeast Algeria. It is also called “Tassili du Hoggar” or “Tassili des Ajjers” or only “Tassili” though the word means “plateau” in Arab. It is a 50-60 km wide strip that stretches almost 800 km long, North to South, in the middle of the Sahara. It is a sandstone high plateau (mean elevation, 1,000m). Erosion has carved it deeply, giving birth to a special type of landscape with narrow canyons and pinnacles and needles standing among sand, looking almost like the ruins of an ancient city. This has fed the legend of lost cities hidden in this labyrinth, such as the famous novel “l’Atlantide”, written by Pierre BENOIT.
Tuaregs of the Kel Ajjer band inhabit the massif. Thousands of rock paintings and rock carvings dating from the Neolithic have been discovered under rock shelters. In order to protect these jewels of mankind from improper behavior and theft it is now a National Park, the "Parc National du Tassili". It is run by the ONPT (Office National du Parc du Tassili)
This trek in the Tassili was organized by a small travel agency "Hommes et Montagnes du Sahara" created in 1969 by... more travel advice
The book of Mario Fantin "Tuareg, Tassili, Sahara", printed in 1971 in Bologna, is one among many other books about... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Tassili N'Ajjer National Park"
- Create a Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- Hotels in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- Transportation in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- 148 Reviews
- 148 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (225)
Have you been to Tassili n'Ajjer National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- updated a Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Travelogue "Les 5 allemands jugés hier par le tribunal de Djan"
- Uploaded a Photo to "To read,"Tuareg, Tassili, Sahara", by Mario Fantin"
- Wrote a Review "Hommes et Montagnes du Sahara" in Tassili n'Ajjer National Park What to Pack
Photos in Tassili n'Ajjer National ParkSee All Photos (148)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos