"The Sahara starts at the Tademait Plateau!" I-n-Belbel by JLBG

I-n-Belbel Travel Guide: 50 reviews and 131 photos

This page is under I-n-Belbel, the location found in the VT database that is the closest to the Tademait. As soon as the new VT will allow to introduce easily new locations, I will transfer it to Aïn-El-Hadjadj, a small place along the road between El Goléa and In-Salah (see map).

The Plateau du Tademaït stretches North-South from El Goléa to 100 km north to In-Salah. It is almost completely flat and most travelers will say that it is entirely mineral without any vegetation. Actually, if you look carefully, this is not true and there are a lot of plants, usually small.

When I mean a lot, I mean that you cannot walk 100 meters without finding some plant growing and possibly blooming. Of course this is not a rich meadow fit for cows but camels are happy to find it! No matter if they have to walk some time between two mouthfuls! They are used to that and it is how they make their living!

I have also put on this page several tips that should be on a general Sahara page. As such a page cannot exist, due to the structure of VT location database, I had to put it somewhere! I am not sure whether it is the best place or not. May be I will transfer it somewhere else later…

Actually, I have finally put under I-n-Belbel most of the general stuff on the Sahara I wanted to post on VT

• Last visit to I-n-Belbel: Apr 1988
  • Intro Updated Aug 24, 2010

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2010 at 8:05 PM

Excellent page Jean Louis! The landscape reminds me of Mojave and Monument Valley! Learned so many interesting aspects of this country. Thanks for the lovely tour!

• Jul 12, 2008 at 6:59 AM

A lot of pictures and information!

• Luchonda's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2008 at 10:07 AM

Hi, thanks for given a description of oasis, i love the desert. Thx for telling us how to behave and respect the desert.My exp. Namibia, Morrocco, Libya, Tunesia Greetz - Luc

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 10, 2007 at 9:07 PM

J-L, what an amazingly interesting page!! Fantastic tips on everything to do with deserts - driving in a Canadian blizzard seems easy now! Your Hotel and Restaurant tips made me laugh! Great to see your trip history through the years too.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 23, 2007 at 2:43 AM

Fascinating explanations of the regs and ergs and hamadas. And gours. And djebels. And tassili. And sebkha. And ouadi. And daya. Great tip on the books you've read about the Sahara. It's fine to have this general Sahara page, no matter where you put it.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Mar 31, 2007 at 7:30 AM

Not in my wildest dreams!! Wonderful informational material here, tho. Great colors of the sands...adorable donkeys, but my idea of camping is Howard Johnsons!! ha ha ha.....

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Mar 26, 2007 at 7:34 AM

Wow! This is an incredible page JL. So much info to digest. I feel like I just got out of history - geography - horticulture - agriculture - and science classes.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2007 at 9:46 AM

This is great stuff JL. We'll have to exchange some vocab. You say reg - I say gibber, you say washboard, I say corrugations. My visit to the Sahara was much too short, I'll be back - here and there. leyle

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Despite the technical problems = I have finally managed to complete your page = you have so much experience in travelling around here

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2007 at 12:16 AM

I am impressed!!! Fascinating tips. I like especially your tips on driving through Sahara - they are of exceptional value. Is there any trail for cars from Temanrasset, Algeria to Tomboctuou, Mali?

JLBG Visits Here Frequently!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in I-n-Belbel

Have you been to I-n-Belbel?