"In-Salah, a cross road" I-n-Salah by JLBG

I-n-Salah Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 47 photos

In Salah is at the cross road between the North-south axis Algiers-Tamanrasset and the east-west axis Reggane-Ghat via the Tidikelt. When there were only camel caravans, it was a main stage. Now that trucks have replaced camels and paved roads replaced sand tracks, it nevertheless remains a stage between Algiers (1,300 km) and Tamanrasset (650 km).

I have visited In-Salah several times between 1973 and 1988. I do not know exactly how many inhabitants there were at that period, may be 10-20,000. The city has now increased and has 54,000 inhabitants. I hope it has kept its character

In-Salah is the capital of a daïra of 30,000 inhabitants, part of the wilaya of Tamamrasset (Wilaya de Tamghasset)

Nota: I will write In-Salah as it is printed on most maps and on local road signs. However, you can find also the writing I-n-Salah, In Sallah or In-Çalah

• Last visit to I-n-Salah: Apr 1988
  • Intro Written Feb 20, 2007

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM

You've been to some wonderful places, places I will probably never see! Its like I am there! Thank you and excellent page!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2008 at 12:36 PM

The colours of the desert and the buildings are simply stunning. Very nice pictures of the local people too. I'd definitely be tempted to visit Algeria, be it not for the heat.

• Jul 14, 2008 at 4:01 AM

Algeria must be a very intersting country!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2007 at 7:06 AM

It is always interesting to read these pages of your past travels in the desert! Some beautiful shots here of the mosque and strange tower (or silo)! Great descriptions and views of the locals going about their business.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2007 at 10:40 PM

I like your 75 years old companion in his 2CV Citroen :-) Interesting tip on molding adobe bricks - the same technology was used by Native Americans as I noticed in desert US states. The mosque looks absolutely fantastic!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Now I see why you are a desert lover - marvelous descriptions of the colours especially the green of plants contrasting with the red sand

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Feb 26, 2007 at 11:10 AM

I guess I'm not a sahara addict like Sachara. I know this type of travel would not be for me, but I admire you and anyone else who would tackle this terrain, especially in a 2CV.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2007 at 4:24 AM

Just have to love deserts - and 2CVs! A thoroughly enjoyable visit with some interesting insights of the residents and their lifestyle.

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 6:17 AM

Jean-Louis thanks for all these new Algerian Sahara pages. I enjoyed every single picture and of course all your excellent information and descriptions. It remembers me again why I am a Sahara addict myself.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Feb 22, 2007 at 12:10 AM

Adobe is such a marvellous building material !! The houses and gates look almost eternal yes, so peaceful :-) Wonderful descriptions :-))

JLBG Visits Here Frequently!

JLBG

Badges & Stats in I-n-Salah

Have you been to I-n-Salah?