"Timgad and Lambèse, two ancient Roman's cities" Timgad by JLBG
Timgad Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 27 photos
The ancient Roman's city of Marciana Traiana Thamugadi or Thamugadi was built in 100 AD by Emperor Trojan as a colony, under the rule of a legate, Lucius Munatius Gallus. It stands 10 km out of Batna. It was in the ancient province of Numidia.
The older center of the city, built on the classical Roman's square plan, covers 12 hectares but the city soon expanded out, unplanned, up to 50 hectares.
The site is stunning and owing to its good condition and to the fact that it is considered as a model Roman's town, it was inscribed on the Unesco World Heritage list in 1982.
I quote from Unesco World Heritage list:
Commune of Timgad, Wilaya (province) of Batna, N35 29 00.0 E6 28 00.0, ref: 194
Date of Inscription: 1982
Timgad lies on the northern slopes of the Aurès mountains and was created ex nihilo as a military colony by the Emperor Trajan in A.D. 100. With its square enclosure and orthogonal design based on the cardo and decumanus, the two perpendicular routes running through the city, it is an excellent example of Roman town planning.
I have added to this page a few tips on another Roman’s city, Lambaesis, standing 20 km away from Timgad. I had not enough stuff to build a decent page of its own.
"L'Enfant à l'Aiglon" (Children with a young eagle) is a bronze statue that was unearthed in 1906 in Tazoult/Lambèse. We... more travel advice
You need a car to visit Timgad and Lambèse. However, as Lambèse is 10 km from Batna and Timgad 20 km, you can hire a... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Timgad
- 13 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Timgad?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Timgad
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Timgad, strange tombstone"
- Wrote a Review Tazoult-Lambèse, Children with a young eagle. in Timgad Things to Do
- Commented on one of eternel2002's Timgad travel pages
- updated a Timgad Travel Page "Timgad and Lambèse, two ancient Roman's cities"
Photos in TimgadSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos