"Tit in the Tidikelt" Tit by JLBG

Tit Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 47 photos

The willaya of Adrar is entirely in the Sahara. It has only 28 "communes" (Municipalities) and Tit is one of them. It looks very small on the map but I suppose the population of the "commune" includes people living in other oasis and nomads. I have not found the population of Tit but I have found the results of a ballot on 29 sept 2005, there were 1392 people inscribed on the voters lists and 1371 that voted!

The Sahara has two Tit.

Note for native English readers: this is the correct spelling and there is no need to put an S at the end the previous sentence. Non-native will have understood at once that this was NOT a mistake.

Tit, zip code 0106, is in the willaya of Adrar. It is 200 km west to In-Salah, 50 km west to in-Ghar, though both In-Salah and In-Ghar belong to the willaya of Tamanghesset. This page is about this Tit.

Tit, zip code 1320, is the willaya of Tamanghesset, 42 km north to Tamanrasset. I have built a small page about Tit in the Hoggar

In Amazight, Tit (plural Titucine) is the same word that "Tut" in ancient Egyptian and stands for "eye" with the meaning of "spring", as a spring is an eye open in the soil. No wonder that there are several locations named Tit in the Sahara. Besides the two Tit above, there is Tamentit in south-western Algeria, Tit-Mellil near Casablanca in Morocco and others I will add later (I cannot find any other right now though I know there are plenty).

This page is not only about Tit, but about the leg of our travel between In-Salah and Tit, as shown on the map.

On this travel, my 7th visit to the Sahara, we were a group of 12 with 6 adults and 6 children in 3 cars, my own Land Rover, a Toyota and a small Renault-5. The Toyota got badly stuck and we spent two hours to take it off the sand. Then we did not drive a very long way out of In-Salah and had a bivouac in the middle of the desert. The next morning, we went to In-Ghar (not a VT destination though zip code 11210) and visited a French teacher living in the oasis. Then, we drove towards Aoulef through Tit. When we arrived near the oasis of Tit, the sand wind was beginning to blow and the Renault-5 got badly broken down. As we were trying to fix it, villagers from Tit came and proposed that we sleep in their house. We were glad to have a shelter from the sand wind. Next morning a young man proposed to have a camel ride around the oasis.

The structure of a VT page does not fit with such a journey and I will put most of the tips chronologically under "things to do". So, please, read in author's order!

• Last visit to Tit: Apr 1982
  • Intro Updated Sep 13, 2008

• jumpingnorman's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Wow, you have brought your Land Rover to lots of places...excellent adventure car! I feel bad the Toyota got stuck because I am a Lexus Fan! hehehe...Amazing you slept in a small room with 12 people...I won't be able to sleep, I think.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Wonderful page on your trip in the desert! It's a pity the poor camels get their noses pinched to control them. And yet the people there must be lovely, offering strangers a place in their house just like that!

• Jenniflower's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Life in the dessert is so very different. Enjoyed this page very much, thanks!

• Sep 13, 2008 at 5:32 AM

You have the best pages about Algeria! I am intersting to visit this country!

• Basaic's Profile Photo
    Feb 5, 2008 at 8:44 AM

I really enjoyed this page.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 5:28 PM

This page shows there was a 'positive' from the R5 breakdown - getting to meet the people of Tit and experience camel rides. I'm glad I didn't have to spend the next 1000 km being towed though!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2007 at 7:50 AM

Wonderful information about the desert. I especially enjoyed the camel training and riding tips as I find camels fascinating creatures.

• adeeltahir's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2007 at 1:29 AM

Enjoying your Africa pages especially desert. great work.

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Happy birthday Jean-Louis! Thanks for putting up all these fascinating pages about your travels in the desert. Glad to hear the children got to go camel-riding just in time, before the sand wind started.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Your desert pages are always so educational and interesting at the same time! Great camel riding tips and I had not known there was a Saharian vs. Middle East style! Nice to see your Land Rover did so well - they have always been my favourite 4WD!

JLBG