"Caunos ruins and the Lycian tombs" Top 5 Page for this destination Dalyan by JLBG

Dalyan Travel Guide: 138 reviews and 302 photos

We visited this part of Turkey on the occasion of a sailing trip from Fethiye to Marmaris. This was self steering but not as independent: we had hired a boat in a flotilla of an English company. There were twelve hired boats and an “admiral boat” with two guides. Each morning, there was a briefing presenting the sailing route for the day and giving next harbor. Between two harbors, we were on our own and had only to be in the evening moored in next harbor. In case of any problem, we could call the admiral boat, which never occurred.

Ikincik was one of our moorings. We spent two nights in Ikincik as there was a trip on an excursion boat scheduled on Dalyan river to visit the ruins of Caunos and the Lycian tombs.

• Intro Written Jan 3, 2009

• alza's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Sensas! I'd love to see the byzantine church ruins, and everything else you mention on Dalyan. Thank you for writing about it.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2011 at 10:42 AM

My brother returned last night after 17 days in Dalyan - full of enthusiasm for all it has to offer in terms of natural beauty, historical interest, walks and boat trips - and just relaxing. I shall enjoy exploring your pages!

• Pinat's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2011 at 12:02 PM

We were in Dalyan in October 2010. There were so few tourists and all excursion boat owners were ready to bargain for a daily trip even for two people. The weather was great and we had a lovely day. Nice to be back there with your pages :)

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2010 at 5:16 AM

Enjoyed reading these tips- especially the Lycian graves and Roman ruins. Turkey certainly looks like a must see country for me....

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Lycian tombs, a Byzantine church and wetlands - this sounds just the sort of place I would love to visit. Just home from a 3 week trip to Uzbekistan with a few days in Istanbul en route - my appetite for Turkey is well and truly whetted! leyle

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM

The Lycian graves are amazing. The whole ruins are beautiful. It must have been marvelous to see such a historic site. Thanks for the lovely tour!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 26, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Quite an interesting trip J-L! Those Lycian graves are quite the sight - very impressive. The devices used to control fish reminded me of heart-shaped weirs in Canada that also trap fish. Your tip on the 'northerly winds' was very informative too!

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jan 22, 2009 at 9:31 AM

This trip sounds like an interesting compromise between independent and guided tourism: sailing your own boat, but having an "admiral boat" with two guides on call in case anybody had needed them. Fantastic photos of the Lycian tombs!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jan 17, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Never heard about the ruins of Caunos and the Lycian tombs before! Thank you Jean-Louis for showing them to us. Great place to visit from Marmaris.

• Jan 8, 2009 at 6:31 AM

I love to be here: Lycian graves!

JLBG