"Gori, more than Stalin’s birthplace?" Top 5 Page for this destination Gori by JLBG
Gori Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 86 photos
Gori is a 60,000 inhabitants city of eastern Georgia, in Shida Karti province. It has a long history as it was founded in the Xith century by king David IV. However, the name of Gori evokes immediately the name of Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, aka Joseph Stalin who was born there in 1878. A museum reminds his life.
The fortress of Goristikhe stands high on top of a hill overlooking the city. It’s name, means Gori’s fortress.
In the neighbourhood, one must visit the troglodytic city of Uplistikhe (the fortress of Uppli) and the church of Ateni Sioni (pages to be built soon)
During the 2008 conflict (South Ossetian war), Gori was bombed and occupied by the Russian army for two weeks. In April 2011, during our short visit, we did not see anything that reminded that episode.
The Church of Ateni Sioni stands on a shelf, between the villages of Patara Sioni (Little Sioni) and Didi Sioni (Great... more travel advice
On the side of Stalin’s museum stands a large building, the Intourist Hotel and Restaurant. It has a distinctive Stalin... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Gori Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gori, more than Stalin’s birthplace?"
- "in the name of Stalin"
- "Gori the birth town of Stalin"
- "Gori intro"
- "The Birthplace of Stalin"
- "Stalin birthplace"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Gori
- Hotels in Gori
- Transportation in Gori
- Restaurants in Gori
- Warnings and Dangers in Gori
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gori
- 14 Reviews
- 34 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Gori?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gori
- updated a Gori Travel Page "Gori, more than Stalin’s birthplace?"
- Posted in Travel Bulgaria Forum "Re: Vacations for locals ?"
- Commented on one of call_me_rhia's Gori travel pages
- Wrote a Review Church of Ateni Sioni in Gori Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Uplistikhe (the fortress of Uppli)"
Photos in GoriSee All Photos (34)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos