"Mtskheta, a very old town" Top 5 Page for this destination Mts'khet'a by JLBG
Mts'khet'a Travel Guide: 69 reviews and 208 photos
In the province of Khartli, Mtskheta, a city of almost 20,000 inhabitants is the capital of the region of Mtskheta-Mtianeti, about 20 km north to Tbilisi. It stands at the confluence of two large rivers, the Black Aragvi and of the Kura or Mtkvari.
It is one of the oldest cities in the country. Christianity is deeply rooted in Georgia and even more in Mtskheta as it is the very place where it was first introduced and where it became the national religion of the country. For this reason, it was inscribed in 1994 as a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Quoted from UNESCO World Heritage list
Historical Monuments of Mtskheta
The historic churches of Mtskheta, former capital of Georgia, are outstanding examples of medieval religious architecture in the Caucasus. They show the high artistic and cultural level attained by this ancient kingdom*.
You will find the here the Long description
Another feature unknown in Western Europe is about electric meters : instead of being inside each house (or each... more travel advice
Jvari (or Djvari) monastery stands on a hill overhanging Mskheta in the South-east. It is close to the city and can... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Mts'khet'a Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Mtsketha – Capital of the former Iberian Kingdom"
- "Mtskheta, a very old town"
- "Mtskheta, Georgia"
- "the ancient capital"
- "Like a little piece of Europe in Transcaucasia."
- "Wonderful Mts'khet'a"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Mts'khet'a
- Hotels in Mts'khet'a
- Transportation in Mts'khet'a
- Restaurants in Mts'khet'a
- Shopping in Mts'khet'a
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Mts'khet'a
- 14 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (226)
Have you been to Mts'khet'a?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Mts'khet'a
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos