"Sighnaghi, the pearl of Georgia" Top 5 Page for this destination Sighnaghi by JLBG
Sighnaghi Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 133 photos
Sighnaghi, also spelled Signagi or Signachi is the administrative center of the Sighnaghi district, that belongs to the region of Kakheti in the far eastern tip of Georgia, clamped between two stripes of Azerbaijan. It is 113 km east to Tbilisi, at a mean elevation of 790 m above sea level. It stands on a shelf overlooking the Alazani Valley. On the other side of the valley stand the gorgeous Dagestan mountains of the Greater Caucasus range but we did not see them, as the weather was foggy.
Sighnaghi has a little more than 2000 inhabitants. Georgia’s president has launched Sighnaghi as the top city of Georgia. Therefore, in the recent years, there have been a lot of restoration done and the city has lost some of its naturalness.
This is not going to be a very informative page on Sighnaghi itself as we have not really visited the town: as we had spent the whole day in Kakheti, going from one church to another monastery: the cathedral of Alaverdi, the academy of Ikalto, the fortified church of Gremi, Telavi and Irakli II palace and of course Dzveli Shuamta and Akhali Shuamta. Look at my off the beaten path tips for links to these locations.
Along the road from Gremi to Sighnaghi, almost halfway, I noticed this monastery that was undergoing a heavy... more travel advice
Telavi is especially famous for Irakli II palace, standing in the middle of a strong fortified enclosure, Batonis... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Sighnaghi Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sighnaghi, the pearl of Georgia"
- "Sighnaghi, Georgia"
- "An off-the-beaten-path gem"
- "Sighnaghi - major destination in Eastern Georgia"
- "A Gem"
- "Sighnaghi - The Heart of Georgia's Wine Region"
- "Homestay in Sighnaghi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sighnaghi
- Hotels in Sighnaghi
- Transportation in Sighnaghi
- Restaurants in Sighnaghi
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sighnaghi
- 17 Reviews
- 44 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (128)
Have you been to Sighnaghi?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sighnaghi
Photos in SighnaghiSee All Photos (44)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos