"Venice in Provence!" Top 5 Page for this destination L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue by JLBG

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 118 photos

L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgues, not to be mistaken with Sorgues, is a scenic little town of 21,000 inhabitants in the Comtat Venaissin. It is one of the “must see” in Provence. It stands in the plain, at the foot of the Plateau of the Vaucluse and two arms of the Sorgues river frame the city while several channels water the old core. In the past the flow set in motion many paddle-wheels that were used to operate silk mills in the XVIIIth and paper mills in the XIXth. Some of them are still turning but only for the pleasure of the visitors.

The narrow streets are intimately knitted with channels and the visitor must wander along the banks, from one small bridge to the next one. Besides the old center, the “Partage des eaux”, I km upstream is a special place. The Sorgues widens into a calm body of water before it divides itself into two arms. It is sometimes called the Provencal Venice as it was too built on wooden pilings in a swamp and has also a tight interlace of streets and channels.

The city is now the home of more than 300 antique shops and art galleries. Twice a year (Easter and August 15th) the antique’s fair gathers more than 500 antique dealers and brings visitors worldwide.

It is 80 km from Marseille, 20 km from Avignon and easily reached by train or busses.

• Last visit to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue: Jun 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 24, 2010

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Sep 24, 2010 at 10:03 PM

I've just discovered this place, now I can't wait to get there. Lovely page as usual, thanks Jean Louis.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Quite a unique little spot you found in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue and your quaint Hôtel “le Cours d’Eau" is at the top of the list! Thanks for the tour J-L, I've wanted to explore France for decades - one of these days I will!

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2009 at 6:52 AM

What a qauint and charming town this is. The “le Cours d’Eau” restuarant looks soooooo inviting. Lovely photos. My daughter has just toured in Provence- she loved it.

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM

I know I would love this town and to think when we were in Orange, we were very close. It's so charming and picturesque - typical Province. I got a chuckle reading your Hotel tip. You almost needed a GPS to find your room. hehe!

• Aug 4, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Must be a great destination

• nyperose's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2008 at 10:02 PM

I have spent 2 summers here. Wonderful! I love the Provence and I am dreaming of going back. It's so relaxing just to sit by the river and look at the ducks. On forgets about the hassle of daily life......

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Oct 31, 2007 at 11:46 PM

L'lsle-sur-la-Sorgue looks like a nice small town. Over 300 antique shops and art galleries sounds a lot for a town of that size!

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Nice page about a place which unfortunately will be collecting 5 rated pages long... Oh, a problem of parking in Paris is always in my memory! But if there is this problem in such a small town..?

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Jul 5, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Cute little town :-) Haha, I like the hotel, it is very much special from your descriptions :-))

JLBG

Badges & Stats in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue

Have you been to L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue?

Latest Activity in L'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue