"Millau, Jose Bove and the viaduct" Top 5 Page for this destination Millau by JLBG

Millau Travel Guide: 62 reviews and 122 photos

There are several reasons for visiting Millau. This is the town where José Bové and his friends dismantled in 2002 a Mac Do that was to open a few days later and this is the town that has given it's name to the ''Viaduc de Millau'' (Millau's viaduct).
On May 28th 2004, the most controversial Millau's viaduct will be finished, the last missing span being launched.
On May 28th, I am beginning to build my Millau's page and launch the first photo.
Actually, it's pure chance : I was there the week before and it's time to make my page !

In the old city of Millau, weekly city market plays a main part in the city life.

While you are in Millau, do not miss to pay a visit to Roquefort. You can visit the caves, see the cheese maturing and of course taste it !.

Montpellier le Vieux

25 km away from Millau, Montpellier le Vieux is an out of the beaten track place that is really worth a visit (5 euros). On the whole surface of the site, dolomitic rocks have been carved by water and wind to make the figure of a ruined city. It is called a ''mega lapiaz''.

More on the official site of Montpellier le Vieux and you might also visit the famous Aven Armand cave (unfortunately, we could not include it in our trip, due to our time schedule)

• Pros:The Millau viaduct that has been built
  • Cons:The Mc... restaurant that has been rebuilt :-)))
  • In a nutshell:See by yourself
  • Last visit to Millau: May 2004
  • Intro Updated Mar 22, 2005

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Do they still make gloves in Millau? The viaduct (only planned when we visited) looks amazing . leyle

• mariev's Profile Photo
    Feb 4, 2006 at 11:46 AM

Vraiment sympa la juxtaposition des deux "ponts" de Millau

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Aug 28, 2005 at 7:58 PM

The covered market reminds of the one in Barcelona. Very impressive. Love markets.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jun 12, 2005 at 2:19 PM

Many interestings tips with very nice pictures. The Porte de Mycènes and the cliffs look great, the belfry impressive, it's a pity the whole castle didn't survive.

• Martinewezel's Profile Photo
    Apr 19, 2005 at 12:37 PM

Le centre de Millau, le Camp de Larzac, les causses... nous manqueront maintenant que nous n'avons qu'à prendre le viaduc! Page très intéressante, merci!

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2005 at 2:06 PM

Super page!! Le jour de l'inauguration du Viaduc, il y avait meme une photo dans le Houston Chronicle, c'est dire!!

• carlisa's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 1:06 PM

Hi Jean- Louis, this is very impressive! As for me, I am leaving the travel in France for the days of my retirement, when I will have time to insert my best shots. Merci pour les reves qui sont lies a tes superbes photos hors des sentiers battus. Krysha

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2005 at 11:25 AM

Jean Louis ,marveleux this page ,the info about this high structures was excellant and the restaurant food tips ,well if you know me then you know why I like it I love deserts . covered Market also great Very fine page J L .

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2005 at 5:06 PM

A brilliant page, Jean-Louis, mixing the old with the new! I had recently scene amazing pics of the new viaduct - what a structure!! To also have the option of touring the very picturesque 'chaos' rock formations would be just too much!!!

JLBG