"Montpellier and surroundings" Top 5 Page for this destination Montpellier by JLBG
Montpellier Travel Guide: 203 reviews and 619 photos
Montpellier is not among the oldest cities of Languedoc as before year 1000, there was nothing but it soon took a great importance. It was a stage on the way to several pilgrimages and the harbor of Lattes was important for Mediterranean trade. The first University in France was created in Montpellier on the model of the arabo-andalous medersa and became soon famous worldwide (= at that time, that meant Europe wide !). In the XVIth century, 65% of the students were coming from other European countries and not French. It is now the oldest university in the world still working since its creation.
Montpellier has much to offer to the tourist, with a superbly preserved old core, while at the same time it is a very modern town.
However, I will not build now a page on Montpellier as I have too few pictures. Later, certainely ! In this page, I will present half a dozen of destinations that can be reached on day trips (easy if driving, more difficult by public transportation) from Montpellier, with links to the specific pages.
Anduze is sometimes called ''door to the Cévennes''.
One visit not to miss is the Bambouseraie de Prafrance.
Saint-Guilhem, has been for centuries a main stage for pilgrims on Saint-Jacques de Compostelle's road.
After Gellone, the abbey in the sun, you must visit the Clamouse cave, the cathedral in the night. Clamouse cave is a must.
In La Cavalerie, the Hospitalier village still exists with its fortified enceinte of the XVth century.
Due to its outstanding state of preservation, La Couvertoirade represents a real ''miniatures'' mediaeval village and the visitor will always be surprised, whatever his expectations, by these architectural and urban treasures found within.
Parc National des Cévennes
The Cévennes were and still are the stronghold of the ''Camisards'', local Calvinist Protestants who refused to abjure their faith after the revocation of the ''Edit de Nantes'' by the king of France. Landmarks recall that history.
Millau has given its name to the famous ''Viaduc de Millau'' (Millau's viaduct) finished in May 28th 2004. In the old city, the weekly city market plays a main part in the city life.
Montpellier le Vieux
25 km away from Millau, Montpellier-le-Vieux is a ''mega lapiaz'', dolomitic rocks carved by water and wind to make the figure of a ruined city.
Nant is a nice and quiet little town, not far from the ''chaos'' of Montpellier le Vieux, of Roquefort, of Millau, la Cavalerie, etc... It is a good stop for an evening and night.
Only cheese that has been matured in a well defined area, about 1500m long and 400m wide can bear the name of Roquefort. You can visit the caves and see the cheese maturing.
Only cheese that has been matured in a well defined area, about 1500m long and 400m wide can bear the name of ... more travel advice
25 km away from Millau, Montpellier-le-Vieux is an out of the beaten track place that is really worth a visit (5... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Montpellier Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Montpellier and surroundings"
- "The Secret World of Montpellier"
- "sandravdp's new Montpellier Page"
- "Montpellier, South of France"
- "My place!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Montpellier
- Hotels in Montpellier
- Transportation in Montpellier
- Nightlife in Montpellier
- Restaurants in Montpellier
- Shopping in Montpellier
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Montpellier
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Montpellier?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Montpellier
Photos in MontpellierSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos