"Mutzig, more than a beer!" Mutzig by JLBG

Mutzig Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 5 photos

Mutzig is a little town on 6,000 near Molsheim and 20 km west to Strasbourg.

The name Mutzig is famous because of the eponymous beer. The Mutzig brewery was founded in 1810 by Antoine Wagner. It was bought in 1972 by the Heineken group and though no beer is now produced anymore in the Mutzig brewery, it is produced in neighboring Schiltigheim (22 km away, north of Strasbourg) under the brand name Mützig.

Note that the name of the city has no umlaut and is pronounced accordingly while the name of the beer is topped by an umlaut and again is pronounced accordingly! Logical but amazing!

Thank you George (VT Tiabunna) for pointing out that I had mistakingly written "bier" (like in German) while I meant "beer". You have taught me that it had a very different meaning (!) and we have now agreed to meet in front of a cold beer, without any further mistake!

• Last visit to Mutzig: Feb 2008
  • Intro Updated Aug 2, 2008

• Nov 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM

Is anyone able to help me find a Mutzig beer recipe please - preferably a lager. Thanks

• kokoryko's Profile Photo
    Mar 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Une Mützig à Mutzig! A la tienne, Jean Louis. L'Alsace est belle!

• fabrice's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2010 at 1:32 AM

trop jolies ces petites villes alsaciennes , et pas le stress de strasbourg

• Nov 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM

Nice and small place in France.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Mar 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Nice place, like so many little French towns you have presented. Worth exploring to discover their treasures.

• Yaqui's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2009 at 5:33 PM

Bear - Smear...What a great little page! So many interesting places to see and enjoy. Happy Trails!

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM

I have had Mutzig beer in Congo and was always wondering if it might come from Strassbourg area.Thanks!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 4:45 AM

I am partial to small, little-known, towns and villages such as Mutzig. Thanks for including it.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Aug 2, 2008 at 1:45 AM

There are just so many interesting little places to discover in France! We went to Strasbourg, but I'll confess I'd not even heard of Mutzig.

• BTMonica's Profile Photo
    Jun 16, 2008 at 1:03 PM

France is my favorite country on Earth. I get so happy when I learn something about the country that I did not previously know. Such a wonderful little town.

JLBG