"Do not miss Obernai, it is a must see in Alsace!" Top 5 Page for this destination Obernai by JLBG

Obernai Travel Guide: 78 reviews and 229 photos

Obernai is a city of 12,000. It is 34 km south to Strasbourg, 47 km north to Colmar.
Obernai has a long history and thus, has a superb old town standing inside its city wall with a great many houses from the Middle-ages and from the Renaissance period. Obernai ranks high among the must sees of Alsace. Do not miss!

The first mention of Ehenheim, a merovingian « villa » dates from 778. In 1242, it ruled by the Hohenstaufen family and was named Oberehnheim, which gave later Obernai.

Obernai was home of Saint Odile, the Saint Patron of Alsace and more specifically Saint Patron of Obernai, of course.

• Last visit to Obernai: Feb 2008
  • Intro Written Mar 21, 2008

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Thanks Jean-Louis for showing us yet another French gem. Tres bien.

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Looking forward to eating at the Remparts. Thanks for the tip and photos.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 11:13 AM

This looks like a wonderful place to visit and enjoy the clapboard frames of the houses, as well as the other beautiful buildings. YOu again did a very nice job of discussing the sites.

• Jan 23, 2009 at 2:41 AM

Another nice page of you Jean

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 2:58 PM

I love seeing towns with these sort of buildings!

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Nov 3, 2008 at 3:40 AM

What a lovely town Obernai is. I esp. enjoyed reading about the Six Buckets Well and Eglise Saint-Pierre.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Oct 9, 2008 at 1:37 AM

That's a beautiful town with all the lovely half-timbered houses, the wonderful churches, the well. If I am anywhere in the vicinity I will make sure I visit it.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 30, 2008 at 11:20 AM

What a delight! I especially enjoyed the Hotel de ville, the Six Buckets Well, the Synogogue, and the Alsatian Houses. Amazing architecture here in Obernai. Thanks for such a lovely virtual tour.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Jun 22, 2008 at 6:32 AM

Obernai seems to be full of interesting and historic buildings. I love fortifications so the old Remparts were my favourite! I had to laugh at the way your poor little dog was fooled by the fake wooden dog!

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Apr 15, 2008 at 1:33 PM

I have heard the general area is beautiful around here = the town holds many treasures I do like the German influencies & the Church of Saint Paul

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Obernai

Have you been to Obernai?

Latest Activity in Obernai