"Sélestat/Schlettstadt" Sélestat by JLBG

Sélestat Travel Guide: 33 reviews and 92 photos

Sélestat , named Schlettstadt in Alsatian and Schlestadt in German stands 47 km south to Strasbourg and 22 km north to Colmar. It has a little less that 20,000 inhabitants.

It has a long history that dates back from the 8th AD but the city began to grow in the 11th. Its highest importance was in the 16th when it was the capital of humanism. Sélestat underwent many destructions along its history but nevertheless has kept an old city center that is worth a visit.

• Last visit to Sélestat: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 14, 2008

• Jul 27, 2009 at 4:12 AM

Excellent pictures of towers

• LoriPori's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2009 at 2:07 PM

"chateau d'eau" is an appropriate name for your very fancy water tower. Just like I called Estoril Castle which was once a Fort and is now actually a Chateau. The Romanesque portal and Pulpit of St. George really are wonderful.

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2008 at 7:15 PM

I enjoyed your page and the lovely photos of Selestat, but it made me disappointed that we have travelled twice past that area - and missed it!

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2008 at 3:10 PM

Wow..nice page. Enjoyed a virtual tour of fine architecture and impressive buildings. Thanks for sharing. Cheers, SL :)

• budapest8's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2008 at 7:16 AM

Superbly documented and photographed..The 'Castle like' water tower looks identical to the one at Margit Sziget in Budapest...Looks like a nice place to spend a few days...Tim

• Beausoleil's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM

Great stork nest photo. The first time we visited Alsace, we went just to look for storks. We absolutely fell in love with Alsace.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2008 at 1:50 PM

I'll never forget Sunday lunch in Auberge de Allies in Sélestat. Nearly all my photos of a two week stay in the area based in Rhinau were lost/stolen. Thanks for sharing yours.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2008 at 12:32 PM

What a wealth of interesting buildings in this town! Loved the Gothic church and the guild of bakers' building and the knight with an angel. I mustn't tell our storks that there are nests with special facilities in France or they will all move there. :)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM

Wow, Alsace seems to be full of interesting little towns! I was really impressed by the Château d’eau as well as the unique 'tour-porte'.

• hquittner's Profile Photo
    May 20, 2008 at 12:34 PM

We missed Ste.-Foy when we went by many years ago, it turned up while we were building our Conques page (20 Tips!), France's greatest Romanesque treasure which nobody visits! Have you been there?

JLBG

Badges & Stats in Sélestat

Have you been to Sélestat?

Latest Activity in Sélestat