"A young city, only 350 years old" Top 5 Page for this destination Sète by JLBG
Sète Travel Guide: 67 reviews and 201 photos
Sète (Seta in Occitan) is one of the main harbors of the French coast on the Mediterranean. It is the main harbor on the Languedoc coast. It has 43,000 inhabitants.
In France, most towns have a long history and the location have been inhabited long before it became a town. Not so in Sète. The city was created by the will of king of France Louis XIV (the sun king) in 1666. The king had required his Prime Minister Colbert to find a roadstead for the Royal galleys with a harbor that would be able to export the products of Languedoc. At the same time, Paul Riquet, was drawing the plans to build the “Canal Royal en Languedoc” (later renamed “Canal du Midi”), in order to connect the Atlantic Ocean with the Mediterranean sea. Chevalier de Clerville was made in charge by Colbert to find the best place. Clerville identified the cape of Sète as the place that would fulfill the best these various needs. The “môle Saint Louis” (Saint Louis breakwater) [Louis IX, king of France is better known as “Saint Louis”], a 650 meters breakwater, was first built and is still standing and protecting the old harbor.
Sète stands on a narrow strip of land between the Mediterranean Sea and the “Étang de Thau”/”Bassin de Thau” (both names are used), a coastal lake and topped by Mont Saint Clair, a 175 meters hill. Actually, this strip of land is made of several islands separated by narrow canals.
Several companies offer cruises of various length, from one hour to a full day, either in the Bassin de Thau or at sea.... more travel advice
DSC00491.jpg Macaronade de cigales A dish with small locust lobster cooked in a tomato sauce seasoned with garlic,... more travel advice
JLBG's Related Pages
Sète Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A young city, only 350 years old"
- "TOP BEACH AND TOP FOOD...."
- "When driving down South to the Mediterranean.."
- "Sete Page and Gardiole Hills"
- "Sete - a wonderfull city and active harbour, still"
- "Sète... The CityBeach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sète
- Hotels in Sète
- Transportation in Sète
- Restaurants in Sète
- Warnings and Dangers in Sète
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sète
- 26 Reviews
- 73 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (224)
Have you been to Sète?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sète
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grenoble Intro, 161 reviews, 190 photos, 3 travelogues
- Tassili n'Ajjer National Park Intro, 148 reviews, 148 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Iceland Intro, 126 reviews, 157 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Rouen Intro, 128 reviews, 144 photos, 2 travelogues
- Annaba Intro, 72 reviews, 175 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Porec Intro, 70 reviews, 173 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Pula Intro, 116 reviews, 119 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Trento Intro, 76 reviews, 152 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Strasbourg Intro, 71 reviews, 146 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Albania Intro, 60 reviews, 156 photos