"Christmas Break in Kyrenia" Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District by XenosUK
Kyrenia District Travel Guide: 228 reviews and 595 photos
We spent a week in Kyrenia (or Girne in Turkish), from 24 December 2005. It is a fairly large town and with masses of villa developments springing up everywhere it can only get bigger. The harbour is very picturesque, with plenty of bars and restaurants and a walk around the castle is an interesting way to spend a morning. There didn't seem to be any decent beaches at all in the area, unless they were all situated in the grounds of the big hotel complexes on the outskirts of town, which we didn't visit.
Shopping seems to consist of either general souvenire-type shops or ones selling designer knock-offs. The prices of these seemed fairly reasonable for things like jeans and tops, but very inflated for watches (£25+)and handbags (£40+) compared to what you see in Asia, although the quality may have been slightly better.
On the whole, I'd say that Kyrenia is a good place to visit off-season, as an alternative to a city break and it makes a good base for exploring the rest of Northern Cyprus. But the lack of beaches and proliferation of "holiday village" developments mean that I personally wouldn't go there for a summer holiday since I like to relax on a quiet beach during the day and enjoy local bars and restaurants in the evenings and I think that it would be necessary to have a car and do a fair bit of driving around for the whole holiday in order to do both, so not exactly a "vegging out" holiday. I enjoyed our week there and am glad we went, but having "been there, done that", I wouldn't be in any hurry to return.
We hired a car from Sun RentaCar and were very impressed, since it was a virtually new Fiat Panda with only about... more travel advice
Once again, the drive out of Kyrenia heading west offers many more villa developments and I'm really not sure how they... more travel advice
XenosUK's Related Pages
Kyrenia District Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Girne (Kyrenia)"
- "Christmas Break in Kyrenia"
- "Kyrenia - the city and beyond..."
- "IMAGE OVERDOSE"
- "North Cyprus in late October"
- "Wonderful Kyrenia"
- "Girne, North Cyprus"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kyrenia District
- Hotels in Kyrenia District
- Transportation in Kyrenia District
- Nightlife in Kyrenia District
- Restaurants in Kyrenia District
- Shopping in Kyrenia District
- Warnings and Dangers in Kyrenia District
- See All...
Explore the World
- Province of Ontario
- Lake Hope State Park Hotels
- Island of Newfoundland
- Laguna La Cocha
- Da Nang
- Pardes Hanna
- Don Pedro Island Hotels
- Porto Cristo
- Kingston upon Thames Hotels
- Sly Park Hotels
- Bitola Hotels
- Pago Pago
- Tarbaca Hotels
- Land Baden-Württemberg
Badges & Stats in Kyrenia District
- 10 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Kyrenia District?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kyrenia District
- Posted in Travel Dubrovnik Forum "Re: Island Cruise from Dubrovnik"
- Wrote a Review Driving in North Cyprus in Kyrenia District Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Driving in North Cyprus"
- updated a Kyrenia District Travel Page "Christmas Break in Kyrenia"
- Commented on one of Profsmiley's Kyrenia District travel pages
Photos in Kyrenia DistrictSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Paxoi Island Intro, 36 reviews, 69 photos, 3 travelogues
- Hong Kong Intro, 24 reviews, 34 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kyrenia District Intro, 10 reviews, 18 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 4 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Kerkyra Intro, 5 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Krabi Intro, 3 reviews, 10 photos
- Kota Kinabalu Intro, 4 reviews, 5 photos
- Kuala Lumpur Intro, 3 reviews, 3 photos
- Palma de Mallorca 1 review, 1 photo
- Lyon 1 review, 1 photo