Monaco Local Custom Tips by NiceLife Top 5 Page for this destination
Monaco Local Customs: 8 reviews and 12 photos
Spot the Monegasques
People often say they like to blend in with the locals when they travel. Well, some of the people in this photo are "locals" in Monaco . Can you guess which?
There, wasn't that difficult, was it?
Every day wear requires dressing up. What's the point of having the good life, the finest things, designer everything, and keeping them all in a cupboard. Monegasques dress well and stylishly, which means preppy for men, and casual-classic for her And (mostly) they take pride in looking in good shape. Not many shops stock over-size XXXXL designer wear.
Monegasques are very tolerant of the hordes of visitors that flow into the Principality every day. (More so than I would be if fifty coaches pulled up outside my house each morning) And to their credit, they just get on with living the good life, non-plussed.
But as a result of the worldwide recession and credit crunch, Monagasques could be an "endangered species". Their wealth threatened on all sides by falling interest rates and the international clamp down on tax evasion, some observers claim Monegasques numbers are dwindling. Restaurants half empty, financial advisers waiting for the phone to ring. Were it not for the influx of Russians in their Lamborghinis and luxury yachts, the economy would now be on the skids, tumbleweed blowing through the Casino.
The important thing about Monaco is that for now there are still "locals". Enjoy them while you can - they may not last for ever. However you can do your bit to help Monaco beat the Recession. Bring lots of money and spend it. Hope and change - loose change - every bit helps
More Reviews (29)
- See All Special boats sometimes at Monaco: "A"
- See All Nights with stars
- Finest people-watching on the planet
- See All Furs essential
NiceLife's Related Pages
Monaco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monaco: a sunny place for shady people"
- "Weekend in Monaco"
- "A Grimaldi stronghold since the 13th century.."
- "Welcome to Monaco"
- "An exclusive part of Europe, only 2 sqkm"
- "The Monopoly of Monaco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monaco
- Hotels in Monaco
- Transportation in Monaco
- Nightlife in Monaco
- Restaurants in Monaco
- Shopping in Monaco
- Warnings and Dangers in Monaco
- See All...
Explore the World
- Kokkini Khanion
- Pulau Tekong Hotels
- Sasolburg Hotels
- Calella de Mar Hotels
- Dunmore Town Hotels
- Houmt Souk
Badges & Stats in Monaco
- 30 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Monaco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monaco
Photos in MonacoSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 249 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (7)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Monaco hotel reviews
- Columbus Hotel Monaco
- 272 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 12, 2013
- Exotic Garden - Jardin Exotique- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Oceanographic Museum- 14 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Grand Casino- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Grand Prix - Formula 1- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Cathedral of St. Nicholas- 11 Reviews, 24 Photos
- The Palace- 12 Reviews, 18 Photos
- Changing of Guard Ceremony- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Japanese Garden- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Grace Kelly Gravestone- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
- The Port- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
See All Monaco Things to Do