Monaco Tourist Trap Tips by NiceLife Top 5 Page for this destination
Monaco Tourist Traps: 3 reviews and 3 photos
Train touristique - a lack of ambition
All along the Riviera a franchise operates to provide a quick and easy ride around each town. Monaco is no exception, though this one has to mount the very steep inclines of Monte Carlo, with a bunch of overweight tourists so appears to be driven by the equivalent of a Ferrari engine.
They are always packed to the roof with the kind of tourists who consider pressing buttons on a TV remote control " major physical excercise".
Its popular so I've no real reason to complain, but honestly, do you realise how downright ugly and silly a train full of of tourists looks?
I call it lack of ambition.
Unique Suggestions: You were given legs. OK life doesn't come with an instruction manual, but its not that difficult: one foot in front of the other. Monaco is tiny - the entire population is half of the attendance of a Bruce Springsteen concert. You can walk from one side to the other in twenty five minutes. So you don't need a vehicle to transport you around it. (I can hear you now: " What should I see in Monaco? I've hired a car...")
Fun Alternatives: Use your legs and discover the pleasures of actually being where you are, not viewing them from afar, passing through. Get face to face with the place you are visiting.
Cafe de Paris
Ouch this place is expensive!. A miserable 25cl glass of beer clocked 6 euro. The menu described it as a "demi". I understand that - a demi - a half, as in a half litre. No. A half, as in "half as much as you expect". When I asked the waiter "was not a demi a half litre?, he sneered "You can buy two if that is what you want". Twelve euro for a half litre of beer? No thank you!. He shrugged. This is Monaco. Everything is stupid priced. If you don't like it, why are you here?.
He's right of course. What makes this place interesting is the beautiful face of money. So don't complain. The people watching is unrivalled. Look apon it as better value than the beer.
Fun Alternatives: There is no alternative. Pay and enjoy. On few other places on earth will you have the opportunity to see people who's only purpose in life is spending money.
More Reviews (28)
- Dress code, Monaco style
- See All Special boats sometimes at Monaco: "A"
- See All Nights with stars
- Finest people-watching on the planet
NiceLife's Related Pages
Monaco Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Monaco: a sunny place for shady people"
- "Weekend in Monaco"
- "A Grimaldi stronghold since the 13th century.."
- "Welcome to Monaco"
- "An exclusive part of Europe, only 2 sqkm"
- "The Monopoly of Monaco"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Monaco
- Hotels in Monaco
- Transportation in Monaco
- Nightlife in Monaco
- Restaurants in Monaco
- Shopping in Monaco
- Warnings and Dangers in Monaco
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Monaco
- 30 Reviews
- 42 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 24 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Monaco?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Monaco
Photos in MonacoSee All Photos (42)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (7)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
- The Palace- 15 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Grand Prix - Formula 1- 6 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Cathedral of St. Nicholas- 12 Reviews, 28 Photos
- Exotic Garden - Jardin Exotique- 12 Reviews, 34 Photos
- Oceanographic Museum- 14 Reviews, 24 Photos
- Grand Casino- 14 Reviews, 23 Photos
- Changing of Guard Ceremony- 5 Reviews, 8 Photos
- Japanese Garden- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
- Grace Kelly Gravestone- 2 Reviews, 3 Photos
- Monte Carlo- 4 Reviews, 5 Photos
See All Monaco Things to Do