"Biot Village" Top 5 Page for this destination Biot by NiceLife
Biot Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 80 photos
The very charming medieval village of Biot, a short distance from Antibes and some way off the beaten track from Nice, and therefore not overrun with tourists. The main visitors seemed to be a few Americans in rented cars, and there is no direct bus service from Nice. The 3-4 km walk from Biot SNCF passes through the unlovely Marineland and funfair, and light industrial works.
The main attraction for which the village is "famous" is glass blowing, and there are many workshops where you can you can watch the craftsmen at work if you wish, but its not something you have to do. The village is enjoyable without doing the "tour the turkish carpet workshop, now of course you would like to buy a carpet wouldn't you?" excursion thing. That said, the coloured glass vases and glasses are very pretty, if expensive.
Just outside the village is the museum devoted to the brightly coloured designs of Ferdinand Leger. And from its high vantage point you can see all the way to Antibes on the horizon
Medieval villages are rightly proud of their fortifications - here one of the key portals to Biot dating to the 16th Century. Perched villages were designed to be defensible against rival powers and barbarian tribes alike. The Saracens were aparently partial to a bit pillaging. Periodically sacked and put to the sword, villagers life expectancy was dependent on such fortification, and making alliances with the right side.
Glass blowing and creative artistic endeavours are the watchword for Biot. The region is rich in fine clays, sand, manganese and even volcanic tufa for making the kilns. Somewhere a couple of kilometres away apparently is an extinct Volcano.
Around the foothills of the village are various glassworks (Verrerie) , where you can watch craftsmen at work, and within the medieval village are assorted ateliers and display shops selling the sometimes very striking artistic creations in glass.
Ceramics also feature, and Biot is home to various artists who have created feature works to decorate the village squares
- Pros:Well worth the extra effort require to visit
- Cons:Off the beaten track
- In a nutshell:Charming, priviledged medieval perched village
Medieval villages are a bit short on gardens - that is, mostly, they don't have any. So much the nicer that outside... more travel advice
As everywhere, gift shops are on hand should you feel the urge to take home some scented candles and a brightly coloured... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Biot Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Biot Village"
- "It's the Simple Things"
- "Bienvenue à Biot"
- "Biot: Village of arts and tourist shops"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Biot
- Hotels in Biot
- Transportation in Biot
- Restaurants in Biot
- Shopping in Biot
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Biot
- 11 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Biot?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Biot
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: Events around the Cote d'Azur..."
- updated a Biot Travel Page "Biot Village"
- Wrote a Review Village houses with wrought iron and plants in Biot Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Village houses with wrought iron and plants"
- Commented on one of Tolik's Biot travel pages
Photos in BiotSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos