"Cagnes-sur-mer: Renoir, and Medieval hideaway" Cagnes-sur-Mer by NiceLife
Cagnes-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 21 photos
Cagnes (pronounced exactly like "Cannes" but the lightest touch of a "g" within ) consists of three distinct areas.
Cagnes-sur-Mer, a small nondescript seaside town and a fishing harbour, whose sea front is blighted by a noisy and fast moving stream of cars.
Cagnes Ville, which is a busy commercial area with undistinguished apartment blocks and shops.
And lastly, the real star -the little known but magnificent hidden medieval gem of Haut-de-Cagnes.
Technically part of the commune of Cagnes-sur-Mer, Haut Cagnes is so un-seaside-like that I decided to put my travel page homage to Haut-de-Cagnes under both "Cros-de-Cagnes" and "Cagnes-sur-Mer", as VT has no location for Haut-de-Cagnes.
Go here for the real scoop.
Pass through Cros-de-Cagnes, Cagnes-Ville, or Cagnes-sur-Mer and you will catch a fleeting glimpse on the skyline of the rising battlements of the Chateau Grimaldi, crowning the medieval bourg of Haut-de-Cagnes.
f you make the effort, you will find in Haut-de-Cagne the most wonderful unspoilt fortified medieval village, mercifully preserved from mass tourism as submerges St Paul de Vence or Eze. Its winding twisting alleys and densely packed bijou terraced houses are beautifully preserved by their priviledged contemporary occupants.
The walk from Cagnes Ville is a fierce upward climb that would test even the fittest. So the Bourg thoughtfully provides a Navette Gratuite - a free 12 seater minibus service four times an hour - that will whisk you up the two kilometres from the Cagnes "Gare Routiere" to Haut-de-Cagnes in ten minutes flat. The journey is thrills and spills itself as many of the narrow lanes into the town allow only inches either side for the coach.
Once offloaded at the Chateau Grimaldi, your exploration can begin...
Fortified Medieval Town
Dating back to the middle ages, some houses here proudly display their origin as 1315, and are immaculately restored for contemporary living. Hardly more than the odd solitary tourist is to be seen. Real people live here because they have chosen to. Many of the homes have rear gardens which enjoy completely private uninterrupted views out over the Var or the Med below. There is the odd artists atelier studio, but little or no commercialisation in evidence. Just a handful of excellent bar/ restaurants at the foot of the Chateau frequented by locals and those in the know, perfect for a calm Sunday lunch.
Within the Chateau is the arresting Donation Suzy Solidor, thirties Parisien cabaret singer as painted by forty different artists of the pedigree of Cocteau and Lempicka.
Not far is the Renoir Museum, dedicated to Cagnes biggest claim to fame, as home to the artist Renoir
A perfect hidden gem.
- Pros:Go to Haut de Cagnes before anywhere else
- Cons:Its hidden away, and you must make the effort to reach it
- In a nutshell:Aces High
Having had the benefit of the Navette Gratuit shuttle uphill, there's no excuse for a leisurely stroll back through the... more travel advice
Marvelous square at the entrance to Chateau Grimaldi. One adventurous visitor scuttles by. Where are the coaches? There... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Cagnes-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Cagnes-sur-mer: Renoir, and Medieval hideaway"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cagnes-sur-Mer
- Hotels in Cagnes-sur-Mer
- Restaurants in Cagnes-sur-Mer
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cagnes-sur-Mer
- 12 Reviews
- 15 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Cagnes-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cagnes-sur-Mer
Photos in Cagnes-sur-MerSee All Photos (15)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos