"Direction Cannes" Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes by NiceLife
Cannes Travel Guide: 442 reviews and 1,100 photos
The story of Cannes
Height of the season, the thermometer just crossed 30C, bodies are turning brown and the bar bill is climbing with alaming speed. No matter - you are here for the Riviera experience, and you are going to have to pay. Bienvenue a Cannes (leading credit cards accepted).
A hundred and fifty years ago Cannes was just a simple fishing village. The British Lord Chancellor Lord Brougham was on his way to Winter in Italy, as was the custom, when he found his progress blocked by a military cordon sanitaire established to prevent spread of an outbreak of Cholera. He was taken with his enforced stopover, warming to the charms of Cannes and decided to make it his future winter base. He returned each year, and in his footsteps came more British high society, soon making "Brighton-on-the-Med" Europe's most fashionable tourist destination.
In the harbour, royal playboys moored their "batchelor pad" yatchs. Ladies eager to find themselves in the company of royalty found the invitation card to "join the Prince of Wales on his yatch" impossible to resist. (I mean, ladies, could you, honestly?) It was said Queen Victoria despaired of her son's escapades, but at least, on the Riviera, such frivolous pleasures were out of sight. Victoria held court in Cimiez over five Winters while eldest son "Bertie" partied in Cannes. His final accession to the British throne alas meant farewell the Riviera. But Cannes was already on a roll...
Lacking any essential industry other than pleasure, the canny Cannes municipality saw potential in the Conference Industry, and in 1983 up went the Palais de Festivals. Now hardly a week goes by without the fifth world annual conference of something or other, attended by armies of earnest young men in suits carrying laptops, barking down mobile phones and poring over their Blackberrys to ensure they "stay in the loop" - ie. that their department is not downsized or outsourced whilst away on their Riviera freebie
Cannes scooped the pot when it established its annual Film Festival, held in May each year. Stars stars stars. Hollywood-sur-mer. It screams glamour. So much so the low-cost airlines briefly cease to be low-cost. The papparazzi book every available seat a year in advance.
The Croisette is the essential Cannes promenading and people-watching stretch along the beach-front. Outside the luxury grand hotels you can press your nose against the windscreen of Lamboughinis and Ferraris, and speculate on who's who.
So that is Cannes today: luxury hotels, private beaches, expensive restaurants, fashion shopping, glamorous and ritzy people. There is something deeply appealing about the shallowness of Cannes. Dip in, if you can afford it, dip in even if you can't. - there's still a little public beach left.
There are two Cannes. The one of beaches and luxury hotels which line the front, where Lamborghinis jostle with the Ferraris for parking space at the height of the season. The other Cannes, of the old town area of Le Suquet, tucked behind the port, crammed full of narrow streets with tiny boutiques, restaurants, galleries and various shops.
Add a little colour to the scene. Sit out at a beachfront cafe and order the standard thirstquencher, l'eau gazeuse Perrier avec sirop de menthe, or ask for a biere pression "Monaco" - draft beer with grenadine, which turns it a rich red.
Every designer label is here in the elegant Rue d'Antibes. Saturday afternoon it really buzzes. The crowds throng, everybody has the right style - and is eagerly looking for more. Sale time is good - expect 70% off at least. Otherwise, why not play "Fantasy Credit Card" . With shoes to die for at only 500 euros a pop, you could soon make up an imaginary wardrobe that would put footballers wives to shame.
The large sun glasses must be worn, preferrably mouted on the forehead. The Style Police issue on-the-spot fines for tourists caught wearing socks with sandals. The style is "young fashion", however old you are.
- Pros:The glamour of the Cote d'Azur - St Tropez's big sister
- Cons:Steel yourself for outrageous prices
- In a nutshell:A Riviera "must do"
Whilst the French may have been slow on the uptake of the internet (after all much of the content is in English) they... more travel advice
Make your way up past restaurants and bijou terraced houses up to the top of Le Suquet for fine panoramic views over... more travel advice
- See All Cruiseboat: to Cannes and train for...
- See All Vieux Le Cannet
- See All Kiosk Life
- See All Shoes
NiceLife's Related Pages
Cannes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""RÉGATES ROYALES" AT THE YACHT CLUB OF CANNES."
- "Direction Cannes"
- "Rachel Suns Cannes Page"
- "Stars, beaches, festivals and cars"
- "The City of festivals...."
- "Doing the Cannes-Cannes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cannes
- Hotels in Cannes
- Transportation in Cannes
- Nightlife in Cannes
- Restaurants in Cannes
- Shopping in Cannes
- Warnings and Dangers in Cannes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cannes
- 52 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 41 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Cannes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cannes
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: Need lift from Nice to St..."
- updated a Cannes Travel Page "Direction Cannes"
- Wrote a Review The Cannes Calendar - events all year around in Cannes Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Cannes Invader no. 2 hovers above the Croisette"
- Commented on one of JohnnySpangles's Cannes travel pages
Photos in CannesSee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 249 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (7)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (1)
Latest Cannes hotel reviews
- Palais Stephanie by Sofitel
- 138 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- InterContinental Carlton Cannes
- 346 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 17, 2013
- Hotel Martinez Cannes & Spa Givenchy
- 276 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- Holiday Inn Garden Court Cannes Le Cannet
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Village Croisette
- 1 Review & Opinion
Latest: Dec 30, 2002
- All Suites Residence Cannes
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013
- Amangani Resort Hotel
- 35 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 4, 2013
- Sofitel Cannes Le Mediterrannee
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 14, 2013
- Pullman Cannes Mandelieu Royal Casino
- 56 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Tiara Miramar Beach Hotel Cannes
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 18, 2013
- Hotel Gray d'Albion
- 130 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Hotel Majestic Barriere
- 172 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 18, 2013
- PV-Holidays Residence Pierre & Vacances Villa Francia
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 10, 2013
- Hotel Splendid
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013
- PV-Holidays Residence Maeva Cannes Verrerie
- 24 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 15, 2013