"Medieval Roquebrune and luxurious Cap Martin" Roquebrune-Cap-Martin by NiceLife
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 43 photos
Two kilometres vertically from the coastal road halfway between Monaco and Menton is the medieval village of Roquebrune, which looks down over the wealthy villas of Cap Martin, and offers fine view of Monaco.
The zig-zag climb up to the medieval village is by the aptly-named escaliers no.1. This is not for the faint-hearted : the cardiac work out is equivalent to two hours in the gym. Do this climb daily for seventy years and you will develop thighs like a Sumo wrestler and the lungs of a marathoner.
Crowning the village is the ancient 11th Century Chateau, which contains I know not what ,as it shut two hours for lunch immediately as I arrived. This may also explain why the foot of the Chateau is surrounded by leisurely-paced restaurants, full of people dining while they wait for the Chateau to reopen.
The Sentier Littoral offers an invigorating two hour walk around the length of Cap Martin all the way to Menton.
En route you will catch just the barest glimpse of the superb villas whose estates cover the main area of the Cap. Somewhere above is the ravishing Villa Torre Clementina, and here shown a viewing gallery built onto the rocks for the magnificent Villa Cyranos.
At the furthest reach of the Cap you will stumble on the architect Le Corbusier's "Cabanon" - cabin - in which he worked until his death by drowning while swimming off the Cap.
- Pros:Interesting excursion from Monaco
- Cons:You need to be fit to do this one
- In a nutshell:A nice life here
Stony beach which runs a kilometre or two in length to Carnoles and Menton. Its not very crowded, and it's not difficult... more travel advice
Inaccessible other than by on foot, the beach at Roquebrune is mercifully peaceful. One snack beach bar looks after... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Roquebrune-Cap-Martin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A very special place along the Cote d'Azur"
- "Medieval Roquebrune and luxurious Cap Martin"
- "Scent of sea with a touch of medieval"
- "It just goes up"
- "Coming soon...'Roquebrune, worth the stop!""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- Hotels in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- Transportation in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- Restaurants in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (23)
Have you been to Roquebrune-Cap-Martin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: How to put up a statue in Nice"
- updated a Roquebrune-Cap-Martin Travel Page "Medieval Roquebrune and luxurious Cap Martin"
- Wrote a Review Beach front Roquebrune to Carnoles in Roquebrune-Cap-Martin Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beach front Roquebrune to Carnoles"
Photos in Roquebrune-Cap-MartinSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos