"Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte" Île Saint-Honorat by NiceLife
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 62 photos
The smaller and more distant of the two Iles des Lerins off Cannes, St Honorat is home to a working monastery, which combines monastic silence with tending vineyards and selling hugely expensive wine and obscure paphlets on the lives of saints from its tourist shop. The monks are not a "silent" order - they seem quite happy chatting away to attractive young tour guides.
The island is about half the size of Marguerrite and has only one snack bar - the only commercial premise - La Tonelle - which sells the Trappist beer "Orval" and other cold drinks and snacks. The Orval beer is 6.7% proof - and more than one is most definitely NOT recommended if you want to remember your visit. There are no roads, no cars (hurrah!) and no smoking.
The island has far fewer visitors, and is therefore even more "get away from it all" than its sister island. You can generally find your self your own personal rocky inlet for a swim. The air is thick with the sound of cicadas in heat, and the Abbaye battlements cut a striking figure on the bare sea facing landscape.
You can still claim the shade of your own personal Allepo pine tree at the waters edge, and also a personal rock pool for swimming. Travellers on the boat all had coolboxes - you need to be prepared for your brief stay here.
Beautiful setting with palms and oleanders in profusion, to complement the silence of the monks. The Abbey is architecturally very picturesque and shouts to be photographed, especially against a blue sky. In fact I'd go so far as to say a visit to the island should be reserved for one of those "perfect blue sky" days. This is no place to sit huddled in the rain waiting for the boat home.
- Pros:Peaceful secluded and pretty
- Cons:Little else to occupy you
- In a nutshell:Interesting excursion away from Cannes
NiceLife's Related Pages
Île Saint-Honorat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A visit to Île Saint-Honorat"
- "Ile St-Honorat"
- "The ancient sanctuary island in the rain"
- "Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Île Saint-Honorat
- Hotels in Île Saint-Honorat
- Transportation in Île Saint-Honorat
- Nightlife in Île Saint-Honorat
- Restaurants in Île Saint-Honorat
- Shopping in Île Saint-Honorat
- Warnings and Dangers in Île Saint-Honorat
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Île Saint-Honorat
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (26)
Have you been to Île Saint-Honorat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Île Saint-Honorat
- Posted in Travel Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur Forum "Re: Best perched villages"
- updated a Île Saint-Honorat Travel Page "Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte"
- Wrote a Review Boat from Cannes in Île Saint-Honorat Transportation
- Uploaded a Photo to "Saint-Honorat - Little sister of Saint-Margueritte"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos