"The magnificence of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat" Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat by NiceLife
Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Travel Guide: 39 reviews and 72 photos
Overlooking the long snaking peninsula of Cap Ferrat from above Beaulieu - an incomparable vista over this most priviledged of places. The chic yachting harbour of St Jean balances the exclusive villas that occupy either side of the spine, looking east to Monaco or west to the deep-water harbour of Villefranche. A golden triangle.
For a century the Cap has been home to some of the most wealthy people on Earth - European royalty, filmstars, writers, industrialists, socialites and nowadays a significant presence of Russia's new money. (Interestingly not the arab oil money, which sticks to its base in Cannes where there is more shopping). Extreme wealth is required to own property here. Its most prestigious estate, La Leopolda, benchmarked at over 200m euro, but anyone can come and appreciate the splendour if they make the effort. Easily accessible on foot from the far end of the beach at Villefranche, via the av Louise Bordes, which in passing offers a glimpse of Nellcote, the villa rented by the Rolling Stones during their 80's tax exile (recording "Exile on Main Street")
You can walk several hours round the circumference of the Cap, at some points a rocky trail. You can walk the road and then track to the highest point in the centre of the Cap, where a military establishment plays host to fine views over the coast towards Nice. Take a welcome break in the unspoilt yachting harbour of St Jean. For many years there was also a charming zoo here, however now closed (October 2009) "thanks" to a British property developer, to make way for a luxury spa.
Catch the barest of glimpses of the luxurious villas tucked behind steel gates and electrified high fences, as privacy and security are a not unexpected preoccupation. The air is filled with the sound of randy cicadas rattling, the persistent barking of chiens mechant, and the ant-like scurrying of little white vans of Italian building contractors and garden maintenance companies, as every villa is constantly remodelled and updated on the whim of its absent owner.
Don't miss the stunning Villa Ephrussi de Rothschild and its seven themed gardens straddling the central neck of the the Cap (open to public, around 12 euro entrance, half-hourly 81 bus connects Nice and Villefranche) Stop for tea and cake: a perfect setting for a piece of paradise that made it safely to Earth. As good as it gets.
Popular with the yatching crowd in the peak of summer, the Port of St Jean is nevertheless relaxed and restful most of the rest of the year. A lovely unspoilt place to sit a while, enjoy an unhurried coffee or glass of rose, and soak up the ambiance.
Among the low key restaurants that line the waterside is Le Sloop, subject of rave reviews by Michael Winner and Andrew Lloyd Weber, who clearly know their way around here.
What is most noticable at St Jean Cap Ferrat is the almost total absence of "yoof" and litter. Not much to entertain them here, pure bliss, left to the grown-ups.
Actor David Niven's lived here in his final years until 1983, at Lo Scoglietto - La Fleur du Cap, just one of the many beautiful villas that grace this peaceful and idylic refuge of the rich and famous.
Previous owners have included Charlie Chaplin, and it has recently been entirely refurbished for its current owner, name undisclosed. And just take a look at the jaw-dropping villa development opposite! The Promenade Maurice Rouvier offers you a relaxing stroll from Beaulieu to St Jean, with a lovely view out towards Italy.
- Pros:Beautiful villas and views of the golden triangle of the Riviera
- Cons:Privacy of the residents means a view of lot of steel gates and shutters
- In a nutshell:Paradise, at a price
As in many things in life, sometimes its the small details that make a place special. I have no idea what this little... more travel advice
The best way to enjoy the magic of Cap Ferrat is to stroll the Promenade Maurice Rouvier, from the Royal Riviera Hotel -... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The magnificence of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat"
- "Cruise ship port and Rothschild Villa and Gardens"
- "Sticking out into the sea between Nice and Monaco"
- "St. Jean Cap-Ferrat"
- "nice sea side town"
- "SAINT JEAN CAP FERRAT"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- Hotels in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- Transportation in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- Restaurants in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat
- Posted in Travel Nice Forum "Re: Bus from Cote D'azur airport..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Rothchild's Villa Ephrussi - Gardens"
- updated a Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Travel Page "The magnificence of Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat"
- Wrote a Review Birds of a feather in Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Favorites
- Commented on one of delcity's Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat travel pages
Photos in Saint-Jean-Cap-FerratSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 249 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos