"Saint-Paul de Vence" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Paul by NiceLife
Saint-Paul Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 168 photos
Rising up out of the plain, the medieval walled village of St Paul de Vence is apparently the second most visited site in all France, after Mont-St-Michel.
With its history of famous artists and some renowned French film stars who made their home here, it manages to be pretty without being twee.
In high season coach parties discharge many thousands of tourists here every day, so its best caught off season if you can
The "Rue Grande" transects the village
Stroll around the rampart walls, soak up the view down the Mediterranean coast to Antibes, browse the artists studios and every kind of tourist nick-nack, find a spot to eat, watch the boules outside the Grande Place, and peek into the Coloumbe D'Or exclusive restaurant (residents only) where legendary painters used to gather in the Twenties for lunch and dash of paintings to pay the bill - the works of art adorn the walls like bounced cheques that are instead worth a fortune.
Fondation Maeght, St Paul
This is a truly remarkable world-class art experience. The Fondation Maeght redefines the "art gallery".
The quirky sculptures of Joan Miro and others sit outside in a wonderful natural setting, while the building is shaped permeably to allow light to flood the interior canvases of Leger, Chagall and Braque.
Its expensive (11 Euro) because it is entirely privately funded - no government subsidy.
- Pros:"Pretty and the Fondation makes it a worthwhile visit"
- Cons:Coachloads of tourists
- In a nutshell:A good day out
In summer St Paul falls victim to tourist overload. In common with places such as Brugge and Venice, often you can't see... more travel advice
One of the many sculptures by Joan Miro displayed in an outdoor setting. This is the relationship between the outside... more travel advice
NiceLife's Related Pages
Saint-Paul Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Saint-Paul de Vence"
- "St-Paul de Vence"
- "Saint Paul de Vence"
- "A cute southern village - Un mignon petit village"
- "Another beautiful medieval village St Paul d/Vence"
- "Paradise for painters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saint-Paul
- Transportation in Saint-Paul
- Restaurants in Saint-Paul
- Shopping in Saint-Paul
- Warnings and Dangers in Saint-Paul
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Paul
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (27)
Have you been to Saint-Paul?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Paul
Photos in Saint-PaulSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Nice Intro, 190 reviews, 248 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cannes Intro, 52 reviews, 56 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Antibes Intro, 34 reviews, 48 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monaco Intro, 30 reviews, 45 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Villefranche-sur-Mer Intro, 30 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Menton Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Jean-Cap-Ferrat Intro, 26 reviews, 29 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ventimiglia Intro, 19 reviews, 22 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Tropez Intro, 15 reviews, 18 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Grasse Intro, 12 reviews, 16 photos